Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. What is Gainesville's nickname?
2. One major sports event held in Gainesville each year that does not involve the University of Florida is the Gatornationals. In which sport do participants in the Gatornationals participate?
3. The sports beverage 'Gatorade' was invented in Gainesville.
4. Gainesville's major daily newspaper is 'The Gainesville _________'.
5. On the subject of newspapers, the University of Florida's major student newspaper is the ___________.
6. Gainesville is the home of the annual 'Gator Bowl' football game.
7. The band 'Mudcrutch', a 1960s era Gainesville band, later became what major recording and touring act?
8. Which of the following Sunshine State mass murderers committed his crimes in Gainesville?
9. The Gators play football on Florida Field, but the massive stadium that surrounds the field is named for the late Ben Hill Griffin, a pioneering Florida citrus magnate and one of UF's wealthiest benefactors. Which famous Floridian is the granddaughter of Griffin?
10. The opening of the O'Connell Center in the early eighties provided a state of the art venue for basketball, indoor track, swimming, and concerts. The building also gave rise to a new term unique to the UF community - O'Connelling. What did this term describe?
Source: Author PTaylor
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Exit10
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.