Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. In Jaipur, close to the City Palace and the Palace of the Winds, there is a UNESCO World heritage sight, called the Jantar Mantar. What is it?
2. Just north of Homestead, Florida, tourists enjoy the Coral Castle. It's made from limestone blocks quarried on the property, each weighing over a ton. They form walls, statues, benches, works of art and even a two story tower. People speak of a great mystery concerning the Coral Castle. Which of the following statements is NOT true?
3. Please give the name of the very symbolic monument in front of which President Reagan spoke the following sentences: "Mr Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
4. As a result of a country's resentment of its colonial history, a statue of Cecil John Rhodes was removed from the Rhodes Memorial. Where is this memorial located?
5. The Severn Bridge, part of the first Severn Crossing which Queen Elizabeth II opened in 1966, revolutionised travel between south Wales and England. The Severn Bridge is wholly within England - true or false?
6. In the small town of Thomasville, North Carolina, during a 1960 whistle-stop campaign visit, Vice-Presidential candidate Lyndon Johnson stood above the crowd on a local landmark, a piece of furniture which was, at the time, the largest of its type in the world. In our colloquial slang if you want to "set a spell" and think about it, you'll probably come up with the correct answer.
7. Tulum, Coba and Chichen Itza, all on Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula, are ruined cities of which civilisation?
8. The Merlion is a national icon of Singapore. A lesser-known fact is that the expression "to merlion"/"to do the merlion" has found a permanent place in Singlish, the local creole. What does it mean?
9. Brownsea Island, in Poole Harbour, was used by Robert Baden-Powell for what?
10. The Rockhampton region in Queensland, Australia, contains a stretch of coast that is named after a line of latitude. What is it called?
Source: Author Upstart3
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Tizzabelle
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.