Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Mongolia is the world's second largest landlocked nation. The title of the world's largest landlocked nation belongs to a Central Asian nation, which is located a mere 37 kilometers (23 miles) from the Mongol border. Which Central Asian nation is being described?
2. Outer Mongolia refers to a territory of the Qing dynasty. Today, the term is also used informally to refer to the nation of Mongolia. This term is not to be confused with Inner Mongolia, which is an autonomous region that belongs to which nation?
3. Occupying the southern region of Mongolia and the northern part of China, the Gobi Desert is Asia's largest desert. Which of the following statements best describes the desert's claim to fame?
4. Ulaanbaatar and Ulaangom are two major cities of Mongolia. The former is the well-known capital of Mongolia, whereas the latter is a less-notable Mongolia city. Etymologically speaking, which patriotic colour does the prefix "ulaan" refer to in the Mongolian language?
5. At 4,374 meters (14,350 feet) in height, Khüiten Peak is Mongolia's highest point. The peak is covered by snow all year round. The word "khüiten" is a reference to the mountain's harsh conditions. What does the word mean in the Mongolian language?
6. At 1,224 kilometers (698 miles), the Orkhon River is the longest river of Mongolia. It joins the Selenge River before flowing further north into the neighbouring country of Russia, where the water empties into the world's largest freshwater lake. Which lake is being described?
7. A tripoint monument has been erected in eastern Mongolia, where the boundaries of three countries - China, Mongolia, and Russia, meet. Where can one find this tripoint monument?
8. Built between the late 1940s and early 1960s, the Trans-Mongolian railway is an important means of transportation in Mongolia. The railway is connected to which major railway line in the north?
9. If you are lost in the vast Gobi Desert, fear not! You can simply observe the direction the gers (Mongolian tents) are facing. Why are all the gers built facing south?
10. A quiz on Mongolia would not be complete without mentioning the great Emperor of the Mongol Empire - Genghis Khan, who was responsible for the largest contiguous land empire in the history of mankind. What is the name of the 40-meter (131-foot) tall statue was erected in the nation's capital, Ulaanbaatar?
Source: Author Matthew_07
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor agony
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.