Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. In 1950 science fiction writer L. Ron Hubbard published the book "Dianetics: The Modern Science of Mental Health." What church was founded, based on this book and Hubbard's other writings?
2. In the third game of the 1951 National League pennant race New York Giants outfielder Bobby Thomson hit a home run off of Brooklyn Dodgers pitcher Ralph Branca that led to a 5-4 Giants victory and the World Series. What is the well known name of this 'homer'?
3. In the 1950s a patent was issued for the geodesic dome, a spherical structure that is aerodynamic and wind resistant because its weight is evenly distributed across the entire structure. Who was the patent holder?
4. According to the Museum of Broadcasting at 8:00 pm on Monday, January 19, 1953 more than 70% of all American televisions were tuned in to what program?
5. The landmark 1954 Supreme Court decision in Brown vs. Board of Education found that separate schools based on race were inherently unequal. Who was the attorney who successfully argued this case for the NAACP?
6. On October 11, 1959 Pope John XXIII announced the beatification of the first American-born saint. Who was it?
7. A well known nightly news broadcast debuted on NBC in 1956 and ran until 1970. It was hosted by Chet Huntley and which other veteran newsman?
8. On August 28, 1957 Senator Strom Thurmond set a US Senate record for what?
9. In the 1950s former Stanley Home Products representative Brownie Wise rocked the world of direct marketing with her sales model that empowered women to sell a new product to their friends and neighbors at in-home "parties". Which item was it?
10. Almost 26 years after a constitutional amendment ended this practice in the rest of the country, Oklahoma finally repealed a law in 1959 that had been written into its 1907 state constitution. What Oklahoma law was over-turned by a state-wide election in April of 1959?
Source: Author brewster76
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor bloomsby
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.