Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. What special distinction could be said of the George Washington Parke Custis, the Stepping Stones, the Wachusett, the Tioga, the Port Royal, and the Delaware?
2. On December 21, 1861 Lincoln made law a bill introduced by Senator James Grimes of Iowa for an award to be presented to Naval and Marine Corps enlisted personnel. A similar bill for awarding this same thing to regular Army and Volunteer regiment enlisted became law on July 12th of the following year. What was the award that was created during the war?
3. This weapon is still in use today, athough it has changed considerably in use from the initial 1862 model. Today the weapon is typically found in use on aircraft in models such as the M61 Vulcan 20mm cannon. It also sees use as part of the Phalanx CIWS naval ships. What is the weapon in question?
4. Athough this type of aquatic vessel had been in use by various armed forces before the war, the Civil War marked its first successful attack on enemy forces. It would better be known for its successful use in eliminating a large tonnage of supplies from reaching Britain during the first and second World Wars. What is the vessel in question?
5. This first is today a tradition at funerals and on Memorial Day in the US as it is widely used by the military. Though most of us are familar with it being played on bugle, another name comes from the first line of the second verse. What is this first?
6. What distinction does Martin Robinson Delany hold?
7. Abraham Lincoln would become the first of four presidents to be forever linked to a certain infamous event while in office. What would that event be?
8. On August 5, 1861 this first was imposed as the Revenue Act of 1861. What was it?
9. Until the war, the US Navy did not have the rank of admiral. The first such rank was that of Rear Admiral. On what date did Congress authorize this rank?
10. While today's traces its origins back to 1789, a second would largely be created March 16, 1861. The initial one opened the Office of Attorney General as a part-time job for one person. The second one largely opened at the district level, but due to the war failed to open at the highest level despite the constitution establishing such a level. This second one ended when it's government fell. What was this first of the war?
Source: Author F6FHellcat
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor bloomsby
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.