Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. The Federation of Australia came into being when all the different colonies joined together to become one nation under a Commonwealth Government. When did this occur?
2. Many people know that Australia's first Prime Minister was Edmund Barton (who was Prime Minister from 1901 - 1903). But who succeeded him?
3. Australia was the second country to allow women to vote in Federal elections (New Zealand being the first country to allow this in 1893). Which Australian State first allowed women to vote?
4. When Australia federated all the colonies (now called States) agreed on one point: that Australia would not allow "coloured" people to come into the country. What Law was passed to enforce this?
5. World War I (1914-18) - also nicknamed the "War to End all Wars" (yeah, right) - was thought to be Australia's first chance to prove itself as a nation. On the 25th April 1915 the ANZACS (Australia and New Zealand Army Corps) unsuccessfully attempted to invade Turkey. This was the beginning of the _____________ Campaign
6. The Great Depression, set off by the Wall Street Stock Market Crash in New York, hit Australia hard. The Premier of NSW proclaimed a plan to fight the Depression: reduction of interest on all government debts to Australians; suspension of all loan payments to all overseas creditors; the expansion of public works programmes; and bank funding of government works through controlled credit expansion. Although many agreed that this was a good way to go, the rest of the government did not agree. What was the name of this Premier of New South Wales?
7. Australians were conscripted (drafted) during the Vietnam War.
8. The Australian flag was designed in what year?
9. In 1967, Prime Minister Harold Holt went missing and was never found. Where was he last seen?
10. In 1975, the Whitlam government (1972-1975) was removed from power. What was the title of the man who was responsible for this?
Source: Author bubbly_bimbo
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor bloomsby
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.