Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Apples are one of the most popular fruits in the world, being produced by nearly 100 different countries on six continents. The country that produces the most apples on a year to year basis is also the country with the highest population in the world. Which is it?
2. Across the globe, there are over 7,500 varieties or cultivars of apple. Needless to say I would have to write an entire book to explore this aspect. One popular variety is the Granny Smith apple. In which nation that started as a penal colony were these little green beauties first cultivated?
3. One of the top selling apples in North America is the Red Delicious. This variety is unique in that more than forty mutations or sports have been patented and sold in the U.S. The largest production in the country comes from state of Washington but it did not originate from there. Which state better known for producing corn is home to the Red Delicious variety of apple?
4. The Red Delicious and Golden Delicious varieties of apple are quite popular and have both been propagated and marketed by Stark Brothers Nurseries for over 100 years in the United States. Are these favourites related genetically?
5. The Roxbury Russet variety of apple comes from the former town of Roxbury, Massachusetts. The town is now dissolved and is officially a neighbourhood of Boston. What is special about this particular cultivar of apple?
6. Most everyone has heard the old proverb, "an apple a day keeps the doctor away". Apples contain many vitamins and other healthy nutrients for people. Which of the following nutrients do apples provide a significant source of?
7. Which of the following species of insect poses the greatest threat to apple trees?
8. Over the centuries, people have experimented with apples a great deal and have many uses for them. It has also been discovered that some varieties are better for certain things than others. The Bramley's Seedling, Gravenstein and the Rhode Island Greenling varieties of apple are best for which use?
9. The May Queen, Pitmaston Pineapple, and Cole's Quince varieties of apple are members of a group known as heirloom or heritage. Are cultivars in this classification considered rare?
10. Johnny Appleseed was a famous American who became a legend in his own time. He was a nurseryman who introduced apple trees to different regions in Pennsylvania, Indiana, Ohio, and Illinois. He became a missionary and had a profound love of animals. What was his real name?
Source: Author johnnycat777
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor WesleyCrusher
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.