Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Can I get you a drink? How about a tall glass of this official Maine soft drink (but historically produced in New Hampshire or Massachusetts), which has its own festival every summer? (Hint: Its name is synonymous with courage.)
2. If you'd prefer a more grown-up drink, you can try one of the local craft brews from Maine. Which of these is not a Maine brewery?
3. The first dish is nearly ready! Recipes for Maine baked beans from earlier centuries tend to be much less sweet than their modern counterparts, but what two ingredients are usually used to sweeten the salt pork and beans?
4. I always use maple syrup as a substitute for molasses in baked bean recipes, as do many Mainers. How many quarts of maple syrup does one sugar maple produce in a year?
5. Our "Maine" course for tonight is probably the most recognizable symbol of the state. Tonight I'll be serving soft-shell lobsters. If you like it, you should head to a New England branch of this fast food restaurant to get a lobster roll.
6. I just pulled the red snappers off the grill, but I forgot to get hot dog rolls. Please run to the store and get some, but make sure you get the traditional New England style. What distinguishes New England hot dog rolls from the rest of the United States?
7. Have you had enough to eat yet? Have some traditional New England boiled dinner (yes, the dish's name is just "boiled dinner"). What's in it, you ask? It would be easier to say what's NOT in it.
8. For dessert, we'll be having ice cream with this official Maine berry. In fact, Maine produces 25% of all the berries of this type in North America. Many of the local breweries have beers with this flavor, and local New England author Robert McCloskey even wrote a book about Sal and her mother who love these berries. What berry is this?
9. I also made some needhams. They're kind of like a Mounds bar, but with what secret ingredient?
10. Finally, my coup de grace, I serve a Maine invention sometimes called a "Big Fat Oreo". What is it?
Source: Author lingophilia
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor WesleyCrusher
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.