Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. While waiting for our table we sit down on the deck of the restaurant and enjoy the view of the sunset. We sip a delicious fresh fruit drink. We discover that the straw is stuck right in the fruit so that we can sip out the delicious water inside. What is this native fruit that grows on the nearby palm trees?
2. The hostess seats us at a table and we order an appetizer of conch fritters. We know that a fritter is a fried small cake that is usually served with a dipping sauce. But what exactly is a conch, which is featured in this Key West fritter?
3. We decide to order a second appetizer of crab claws because it is January and the claws are in season. What kind of crab are we eating where the claws are tipped with black and the crab itself will actually regenerate this limb after the harvest?
4. We decide to try different entrees. Since Cuban culture plays a large part in Key West, you order a Cuban national dish called ropa vieja. True or False: This consists of cooked vegetable with stewed chicken over rice.
5. For my entree at the restaurant, I decide to sample one of the local seafood delicacies. This native fish, with its flaky and sweet meat, is often caught via spear fishing methods and can be served baked, broiled, fried, or grilled. What porcine-named fish of the wrasse family am I being served?
6. We notice that many of the side dishes that are offered by the restaurant, including rice and cauliflower, are flavored with a cilantro and lime mixture. We are familiar with limes, but from what herb is cilantro a product?
7. Both of our entrees at the Key West restaurant were served with a side dish of something that looked like fried sliced bananas. The waiter assured us it was a fruit but had more starch than a banana and was treated almost like a potato in Caribbean countries. What was it?
8. We noticed that the people at the table next to us were eating Florida Key, or spiny, lobsters. We kept glancing over at the table. What is different about these crustaceans than their northern cousins?
9. It is almost time for dessert and we decide to have a cup of coffee before we select a sweet treat from the cart. You order a Key West specialty from its diverse culture and get Cuban coffee. What coffee type is this based upon?
10. When the dessert cart came around, I already knew what I was going to order! I had to get the sweet that originated from this area called the Key lime pie. Whereas debates rage about crust type or meringue, everyone agrees on the color of the filling. What hue should I expect when I cut into the pie?
Source: Author stephgm67
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor WesleyCrusher
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.