Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Between 1990 and 2010, what country was the leading producer of coffee for international consumption, by a substantial margin?
2. The international growth of coffee consumption is usually attributed to Arab influence spreading it throughout the Ottoman Empire to Europe, thence to Indonesia and the Americas during the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries. In what country are coffee plants thought to have originated?
3. Coffee was originally noted for, and is still popular because of, its energizing effect when consumed. What is the chemical that produces this effect?
4. We all know that coffee is made from coffee beans. What kind of plant produces coffee beans?
5. The first step in producing coffee involves collecting the coffee berries from the plants. Which harvesting technique is used to produce the highest-quality coffees?
6. After the coffee berries have been picked, they must be processed to extract the beans. What is the main difference between wet processing and dry processing of coffee beans?
7. After picking and processing, we have green coffee beans, which are stable for up to a year if properly stored. This is the form in which most coffee is shipped. What is the name of the usual last step in preparing coffee beans for the consumer?
8. Coffee tastes good, but is it good for you? This is currently under debate in the medical community. Which of the following is NOT a suggested health benefit from the drinking of coffee?
9. Coffee may or may not be good for you, but is it good for the environment? Which of the following is NOT a way in which coffee production can have a negative impact on the environment?
10. In response to debate over environmental and social issues involved in coffee production, a number of companies have undertaken to develop more responsible growth and production techniques. What is the name for this movement, which also applies to tea, cocoa, sugar, bananas, cotton, wine, fruit and other products of developing countries?
Source: Author looney_tunes
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor WesleyCrusher
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.