Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Black pudding, or blood sausage, is made by cooking blood with a filler until it is thick enough to congeal when cooled. In Guyana, the filler is cooked rice seasoned with traditional Caribbean herbs. Which herb, appropriate for this quiz, is commonly used?
2. Kulen is a sausage traditionally produced in Croatia and Serbia. Its distinctive flavoring agent comes from a plant more commonly associated with Hungarian cuisine. What is the source of the spicy tang in kulen?
3. In the southern parts of Italy, pork sausages often contain chili and the seeds of a plant with yellow flowers and feathery leaves which is also one of the primary ingredients of absinthe. What is this herb commonly used in Italian sausages?
4. Zalzett tal-Malti , or Maltese sausage, is typically made of pork, salt, black peppercorns, garlic, parsley and the seeds of a plant called Chinese parsley, and whose leaves are sometimes referred to as cilantro. What is the common name of this plant?
5. A type of pork sausage found in Nordic countries has, as one of its main spices, the grated seed of a tree that is native to the Banda Islands in Indonesia, part of the Maluku archipelago. What is the name of this tree, the only tropical tree that produces two distinct spices?
6. Goan chourico are pork sausages adapted during 450 years of Portuguese rule in the Indian colony. Which of the following flavoring agents is commonly found in the Goan version, but not in the Iberian original?
7. Be wary when ordering a sundae in Korea - it is a kind of sausage, made from pig intestines stuffed with cellophane noodles, barley and pork blood, sometimes also including seafood. One of the herbs frequently added is perilla, a member of the family Lamiaceae. What is the common name for this plant family, which also contains basil and coleus?
8. Kabanos is an eastern European pork sausage which is usually very dry in texture and smoky in flavor. Traditionally, the spicing is very simple, often consisting of a single spice. What is the fundamental spice used in a kabanos?
9. Goetta is a sausage developed in Cincinnati by settlers who emigrated from Germany during the 19th century. It contains ground meat and oats, typically flavored with rosemary, salt, pepper, thyme and the leaves of the Laurus nobilis tree. By what name are these leaves usually known?
10. What is unusual about the Welsh treat, Glamorgan sausage?
Source: Author looney_tunes
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor ozzz2002
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.