Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. 'Christmas Day in the Morning' is the title of a short story about Rob, a fifteen year old boy who got up early on Christmas morning, without being called, and did all the milking before his father woke! What Chinese-born American author, better known for the Pulitzer Prize-winning 'The Good Earth', wrote this story about the joy that can result from a gift of love?
2. C J Dennis is an Australian poet best known for writing the humorous collection 'The Songs of a Sentimental Bloke'. In 1931 he published a poem in the 'Herald' on Christmas Eve which describes a family celebrating Christmas with a neighbour, doing a bit of work on the property and having a proper British cooked dinner in the blazing heat of an Australian summer's day. The title of the poem is 'A _____ Christmas'. What word goes in the blank to describe where the family lives?
3. Not all Christmas stories are happy ones. Agatha Christie wrote about one of her detectives investigating the Christmas-time murder of Simeon Lee in a locked-room mystery with a typically ingenious solution. Which of these featured in the original title of her book?
4. Dylan Thomas, better known as a poet, wrote a short prose piece recalling a typical Christmas from his childhood. What is its title?
5. Mem Fox published the delightful children's book 'Wombat Divine' in 1995. It tells the story of Wombat, who has a burning desire to be part of the Christmas pageant. He is found to be unsuitable for a series of roles, and gets more and more worried. Finally, after Emu, who is running the auditions, says he is too sleepy to be Joseph, they come up with the perfect part for Wombat. Which of these is it?
6. You may have seen the ballet 'The Nutcracker', regularly performed as a Christmas feature by ballet companies around the world. It was based on Alexandre Dumas père's adaptation of a story written in 1816 by ETA Hoffmann, titled 'Nussknacker und Mausekonig'. What is the usual English translation of this title?
7. O. Henry's short story 'The Gift of the Magi' has the ironic twist that is characteristic of his work. Della has only $1.87 with which to buy Jim a Christmas present. How does she get the money to buy a platinum fob chain, perfect for Jim's prized gold watch?
8. May Gibbs wrote many fanciful stories featuring gumnut babies, anthropomorphic characters based on the seeds and flowers of eucalyptus trees. In 2013, Mark McLeod published a children's Christmas book using Gibbs's original illustrations of her characters. What are the names of the two stars of this book?
9. Janet Evanovich wrote 'Visions of Sugarplums', featuring bounty hunter Stephanie Plum in a Christmas-time mystery. In the context of this series, what is unusual about the title of this book?
10. In 1976, a collection of letters written to his children between 1920 and 1942 by an author who may be more closely associated with hobbits than with Christmas was published. Who wrote 'The Father Christmas Letters', later re-released as 'Letters from Father Christmas'?
Source: Author looney_tunes
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor gtho4
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.