Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. John of Gaunt's speech from "Richard II" which begins "This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, This earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, This other Eden, demi-paradise,"
continues "This precious ________ set in the silver sea"
What treasure should not be left UNTURNED?
2. Mark Antony engages our sympathy on behalf of the assassinated Julius Caesar with:
"O, pardon me, thou bleeding piece of earth,
That I am meek and gentle with these butchers!"
"Over thy wounds now do I prophesy,--
Which, like dumb mouths, do ope their ______ lips,
To beg the voice and utterance of my tongue--
A curse shall light upon the limbs of men;"
Which PRECIOUS jewel is stolen along with Caesar's life?
3. In "A Comedy of Errors" Dromio of Syracuse's description of Nell, his twin's lover, uses jewels in no kindly way.
"Oh, sir, upon her nose all o'er embellished with
rubies, carbuncles, _________, declining their rich
aspect to the hot breath of Spain; who sent whole
armadoes of caracks to be ballast at her nose."
Which rich VEIN (not artery) did Shakespeare plunder for Nell's nose?
4. The spirit, Ariel, sings to Ferdinand in "The Tempest", confirming that his father is drowned. Happily this is part of Prospero's illusion and all are saved from the wreck.
"Full fathom five thy father lies;
Of his bones are coral made;
Those are _______ that were his eyes:
Nothing of him that doth fade
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange."
What are the jewels on the seaBED?
5. The Messenger and Cleopatra have an amusing interchange in "Antony and Cleopatra." Cleopatra is waiting for news of Mark Antony.
"Messenger: Will't please you hear me?
Cleopatra: I have a mind to strike thee ere thou speak'st:
Yet if thou say Antony lives, is well,
Or friends with Caesar, or not captive to him,
I'll set thee in a shower of gold, and hail
Rich ______ upon thee.
Messenger: Madam, he's well."
Which jewels OF GREAT PRICE will Cleopatra bestow (only in speech)?
6. Q6 It is love at first sight between Pericles, Prince of Tyre and Thaisa, daughter of Simonides
"Simonides: He's but a country gentleman;
Has done no more than other knights have done;
Has broken a staff or so; so let it pass.
Thaisa: To me he seems like ________ to glass."
What jewel has been CUT out?
7. In "Much Ado about nothing", Leonato's daughter Hero meditates on her sharp tongued cousin Beatrice after she has made cruel fun of Benedict.
" Why, you speak truth. I never yet saw man,
How wise, how noble, young, how rarely featured,
But she would spell him backward: if fair-faced,
She would swear the gentleman should be her sister;
If black, why, Nature, drawing of an antique,
Made a foul blot; if tall, a lance ill-headed;
If low, an _______ very vilely cut;
If speaking, why, a vane blown with all winds;
If silent, why, a block moved with none.
So turns she every man the wrong side out"
What stone has been CRITICally abstracted this time?
8. Q8 The clown, Feste, and Illyrian Duke, Orsino, spar verbally in "Twelfth Night"
"Orsino: Give me now leave to leave thee.
Clown: Now, the melancholy god protect thee; and the
tailor make thy doublet of changeable taffeta, for
thy mind is a very _____. I would have men of such
constancy put to sea, that their business might be
every thing and their intent every where; for that's
it that always makes a good voyage of nothing."
Which jewel has been made OPAQUE this time?
9. Shylock learns of his daughter Jessica's prodigal behaviour from his friend Tubal:
"Tubal: One of them showed me a ring that he had of your
daughter for a monkey.
Shylock: Out upon her! Thou torturest me, Tubal: it was my
________; I had it of Leah when I was a bachelor:
I would not have given it for a wilderness of monkeys."
Which is the jewel Jessica BLUE on a whim?
10. Hamlet instructs the players on how to act (or overact)
"Now is he total gules; horridly trick'd
With blood of fathers, mothers, daughters, sons,
Baked and impasted with the parching streets,
That lend a tyrannous and damned light
To their lord's murder: roasted in wrath and fire,
And thus o'er-sized with coagulate gore,
With eyes like ______, the hellish Pyrrhus
Old grandsire Priam seeks."
Which fiery stones cannot be SPOTted any more?
Source: Author jeremyb
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Bruyere
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.