Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Which presidential daughter is credited with this statement: "If you haven't got anything nice to say about anybody, come sit next to me"?
2. What Restoration wit penned these words about King Charles II: "We have a pretty witty King / Whose word no man relies on / Who never said a foolish thing / And never did a wise one"?
3. Some of the most witty insults have been said by women about other women. Who is credited with the line, "That woman speaks eight languages, and can't say 'no' in any of them"?
4. Edward Livingston, a Congressman from Louisiana, was the target of one of the most famous political insults in history. Who said about Livingston, "He is a man of splendid abilities, but utterly corrupt. Like rotten mackerel by moonlight, he both shines and stinks"?
5. Perhaps due to a string of successful movies based on her works, Jane Austen is now held in high esteem as an author by many people. But not everyone has been an admirer. Who said, "Just the omission of Jane Austen's books alone would make a fairly good library out of a library that hadn't a book in it"?
6. Sometimes whole areas come in for condemnation. What famous Civil War figure is quoted as saying, "If I owned both Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent out Texas"?
7. Winston Churchill is another man known for his venomous insults. Who did Churchill variously describe as "a modest man, who has much to be modest about" and "a sheep, in sheep's clothing"?
8. One would think that creative people - artists, musicians, and the like - would come up with creative insults. Well, they do say nasty things about each other from time to time. Who said, "Wagner has beautiful moments but awful quarter hours"?
9. Artists have frequently been the target of some rather nasty witticisms. Who was the man, an artist himself, who declared, "Abstract art is a product of the untalented, sold by the unprincipled to the utterly bewildered"?
10. What man, known as "The Sage of Baltimore," had this to say about President Harry S. Truman: "If there had been any formidable body of cannibals in the country he would have promised to provide them with free missionaries, fattened at the taxpayers' expense"?
Source: Author daver852
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor bloomsby
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.