Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. It's 1222, and I've been called to the bedside of my friend and namesake Francis of Assisi. Although he has not yet been proclaimed a saint, he has been having religious visions and is suffering from wounds that mimic the five wounds that Jesus Christ sustained at His crucifixion. What is the name of the malady attacking my pious friend?
2. I leave Italy for the French Renaissance, and visit François Rabelais throughout the 1530s. The first of his "Gargantua" books are popular, but their humanist and satirical theme has led them to be banned by the Catholic Church. But there, I see my writer friend hard at work in the profession he studied at university! What is Rabelais' career?
3. It is 1553, and I spy my friend Frances Grey, Duchess of Suffolk, in jubilant celebration. "Our time has come," she declares triumphantly. "My dear daughter is queen!" With hindsight, I know that everything will end in tears in barely a week's time, but my lips are sealed as I congratulate the Duchess. Which Tudor monarch's death marked the way for the Dudley/Grey path to the throne?
4. I spy Francis Drake in 1577 preparing to carry out a circumnavigation of the world. He is nervous, but determined, even after a major setback has forced his fleet to retreat. His trip will earn him a knighthood, despite his awful practices of slaving and piracy. I keep it to myself, but I know his steely resolution will come in handy during which 1588 event?
5. It's December 1890, and I am comforting Frances Hodgson Burnett over the death of her eldest son, Lionel. She is heartbroken. I of course cannot give away that I know her future, and perhaps the knowledge that she is destined for success and riches will do nothing for her right now anyway. Which of these books makes up part of her extensive bibliography and is one of her best known?
6. It is 1914, a Sunday in June. I stand in the crowds as the car bearing the Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife Sophie comes my way. A bomb thrown into the procession is supposed to have changed the route taken, but the information is not relayed to the drivers in time, and I close my eyes in anticipation of what comes next. What city am I in while this horrific event is occurring?
7. I next appear by the side of Fanny Kaplan in 1918. This young woman is to be executed for the attempted assassination of the head of her government. She is resolute and refuses to implicate any other in the shooting. Later, I cannot watch as a bullet to the back of the head ends Fanny's life. Which political leader is Fanny said to have shot?
8. I am transported to 1930s America, where a crowd has gathered to discover who has become the next President. The Governor of New York has won by a landslide, and Republican Herbert Hoover has not been re-elected. Who is the Democrat I am congratulating for his win?
9. It's 1997, and I'm attending the 69th Academy Awards ceremony. Up on the stage is the newest Best Actress winner, who has won for her role as Marge Gunderson in the film "Fargo", which was directed by her husband, Joel Coen. I am happy to see my friend receive such a prestigious accolade. Who is this actress?
10. I drop into 2013 to pay another visit to a fellow Francis - this time, the new pope. He has been elected after the last pope resigned and I am intrigued to see what impact he will have on the world. He is the first Jesuit pope and the first from which South American country?
Source: Author AlexxSchneider
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor bloomsby
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.