Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. A classic exchange to begin. Who, when told by the Earl of Sandwich that he would either die "on the gallows or of the pox" replied, "That depends, my Lord, whether I embrace your principles or your mistress"
2. Even his enemies admitted Winston Churchill could turn a phrase. Which Prime Minister did he call "The Boneless Wonder" in a memorable address to parliament?
3. And on the subject of the Churchill family, Churchill's son, Randolph, once had a benign tumor removed. Which famous author commented in his diary that it was "a triumph of modern science to find the only part of Randolph that was not malignant and remove it"?
4. Across the Atlantic now: "I admire him, I frankly confess it, and when his time comes I shall buy a piece of the rope as a keepsake" was Mark Twain's barbed comment on who?
5. To whom was Benjamin Disraeli referring when he said that if "he fell into the Thames that would be a misfortune, and if anybody pulled him out, that, I suppose, would be calamity"
6. A speech from which U.S. politician received the following comment from Harold Ickes: "I did not listen because I have a baby of my own"?
7. "How can they tell?" was Dorothy Parker's biting comment on the death of which U.S. president.
8. Which president was memorably, if unkindly, said to have "played too much football with the helmet off"?
9. Which British prime minister was described as "a shiver looking for a spine to run up"?
10. Finally, which leader was described as "the man who is the source of all the misfortunes of our country"?
Source: Author jeffa
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Lanni
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.