FREE! Click here to Join FunTrivia. Thousands of games, quizzes, and lots more!
Quiz about He Said She Said  in Genesis
Quiz about He Said She Said  in Genesis

He Said, She Said - in Genesis Quiz


Who said it, and to or of whom? Can you tell? All quotations are from the book of Genesis only, and in random order. I have used the NKJV for this quiz.

A multiple-choice quiz by Rimrunner. Estimated time: 7 mins.
  1. Home
  2. »
  3. Quizzes
  4. »
  5. Religion Trivia
  6. »
  7. Old Testament / Tanakh
  8. »
  9. Genesis

Author
Rimrunner
Time
7 mins
Type
Multiple Choice
Quiz #
329,913
Updated
Apr 22 23
# Qns
20
Difficulty
Average
Avg Score
14 / 20
Plays
3301
Awards
Top 5% quiz!
Last 3 plays: Guest 172 (20/20), Guest 173 (20/20), Guest 172 (20/20).
- -
Question 1 of 20
1. According to the NKJV Bible, in Genesis, who said: "I did not laugh"? (Genesis 18:15) Hint


Question 2 of 20
2. According to the NKJV Bible, in Genesis, who said: "And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be on every beast of the earth, on every bird of the air, on all that move on the earth, and on all the fish of the sea. They are given into your hand."? (Genesis 9:2) Hint


Question 3 of 20
3. According to the NKJV Bible, in Genesis, who said: "He shall be a wild man; his hand shall be against every man, and every man's hand against him."? (Genesis 16:12) Hint


Question 4 of 20
4. According to the NKJV Bible, in Genesis, who said: "Look, [here is] the fire and the wood, but where is the lamb for a burnt offering?"? (Genesis 22:7) Hint


Question 5 of 20
5. According to the NKJV Bible, in Genesis, who said: "This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh;"? (Genesis 2:23) Hint


Question 6 of 20
6. According to the NKJV Bible, in Genesis, who said: "Is your father well, the old man of whom you spoke? Is he still alive?"? (Genesis 43:27) Hint


Question 7 of 20
7. According to the NKJV Bible, in Genesis, who said: "Get out of your country, from your family and from your father's house, to a land that I will show you."? (Genesis 12:1) Hint


Question 8 of 20
8. According to the NKJV Bible, in Genesis, who said: "Please feed me with that same red stew, for I am weary."? (Genesis 25:30) Hint


Question 9 of 20
9. According to the NKJV Bible, in Genesis, who said: "He came in to me to lie with me, and I cried out with a loud voice. And it happened, when he heard that I lifted my voice and cried out, that he left his garment with me, and fled and went outside."? (Genesis 39:14b-15) Hint


Question 10 of 20
10. According to the NKJV Bible, in Genesis, who said: "Please let there be no strife between you and me, and between my herdsmen and your herdsmen; for we are brethren."? (Genesis 13:8) Hint


Question 11 of 20
11. According to the NKJV Bible, in Genesis, who said: "My son shall not go down with you, for his brother is dead, and he is left alone."? (Genesis 42:38) Hint


Question 12 of 20
12. According to the NKJV Bible, in Genesis, who said: "I have had a dream, and there is no one who can interpret it."? (Genesis 41:15) Hint


Question 13 of 20
13. According to the NKJV Bible, in Genesis, who said: "I will not let You go unless You bless me!"? (Genesis 32:26) Hint


Question 14 of 20
14. According to the NKJV Bible, in Genesis, who said: "If it is your wish that I bury my dead out of my sight, hear me, and meet with Ephron the son of Zohar for me, that he may give me the cave of Machpelah which he has, which is at the end of his field. Let him give it to me at the full price, as property for a burial place among you."? (Genesis 23:8-9) Hint


Question 15 of 20
15. According to the NKJV Bible, in Genesis, who said: "Now let me die, since I have seen your face, because you are still alive."? (Genesis 46:30) Hint


Question 16 of 20
16. According to the NKJV Bible, in Genesis, who said: "I will draw water for your camels also, until they have finished drinking."? (Genesis 24:19) Hint


Question 17 of 20
17. According to the NKJV Bible, in Genesis, who said: "Not so, my father, for this one is the firstborn; put your right hand on his head."? (Genesis 48:18) Hint


Question 18 of 20
18. According to the NKJV Bible, in Genesis, who said: "Come and let us sell him to the Ishmaelites, and let not our hand be upon him, for he is our brother and our flesh."? (Genesis 37:27) Hint


Question 19 of 20
19. According to the NKJV Bible, in Genesis, who said: "But as for you, you meant evil against me; but God meant it for good, in order to bring it about as it is this day, to save many people alive."? (Genesis 50:20) Hint


Question 20 of 20
20. According to the NKJV Bible, in Genesis, who said:
"The scepter shall not depart from Judah,
Nor a lawgiver from between his feet,
Until Shiloh comes;
And to Him shall be the obedience of the people?" (Genesis 49:10)
Hint



(Optional) Create a Free FunTrivia ID to save the points you are about to earn:

arrow Select a User ID:
arrow Choose a Password:
arrow Your Email:




Most Recent Scores
May 18 2024 : Guest 172: 20/20
May 18 2024 : Guest 173: 20/20
May 11 2024 : Guest 172: 20/20
May 06 2024 : NekoNeko_1276: 18/20
May 05 2024 : Guest 24: 17/20
May 04 2024 : Guest 172: 19/20
May 01 2024 : ClaireDearth: 17/20
Apr 22 2024 : Guest 71: 18/20
Apr 14 2024 : Guest 82: 19/20

Score Distribution

quiz
Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. According to the NKJV Bible, in Genesis, who said: "I did not laugh"? (Genesis 18:15)

Answer: Sarah, to the Lord and to Abraham

Sarah, out of fear, denies laughing at the idea that she will have a child in her old age. The angel of the Lord, recorded here as speaking as the Lord, knows better, and says so. Both Abraham and the angel of the Lord are present.
2. According to the NKJV Bible, in Genesis, who said: "And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be on every beast of the earth, on every bird of the air, on all that move on the earth, and on all the fish of the sea. They are given into your hand."? (Genesis 9:2)

Answer: God, to Noah, after the Flood

God is speaking to Noah after the flood; this is the first time that fear of humans by animals is mentioned in the Bible.
3. According to the NKJV Bible, in Genesis, who said: "He shall be a wild man; his hand shall be against every man, and every man's hand against him."? (Genesis 16:12)

Answer: The angel of the Lord, to Hagar, referring to Ishmael

While the incorrect answers are plausible, the quotation is unique and therefore only one answer is correct. Some translations say, "He shall be a wild donkey", or "like a wild ass". While his fate is not a particularly joyful one, nevertheless God does not utterly reject Ishmael, since he too is a son of Abraham: in Genesis 21:17b-18 the angel of the Lord says to Hagar in the desert, "What ails you, Hagar? Fear not, for God has heard the voice of the lad where he is. Arise, lift up the lad and hold him with your hand, for I will make him a great nation."
4. According to the NKJV Bible, in Genesis, who said: "Look, [here is] the fire and the wood, but where is the lamb for a burnt offering?"? (Genesis 22:7)

Answer: Isaac, to Abraham

Isaac asks this of Abraham, on their way to where Abraham intends to sacrifice Isaac. Abraham responds, "My son, God will provide for Himself the lamb for a burnt offering."
5. According to the NKJV Bible, in Genesis, who said: "This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh;"? (Genesis 2:23)

Answer: Adam, speaking of Eve

There are similar quotations, but in Genesis 2 it can only be Adam, speaking of Eve.
6. According to the NKJV Bible, in Genesis, who said: "Is your father well, the old man of whom you spoke? Is he still alive?"? (Genesis 43:27)

Answer: Joseph, to his brothers, referring to Jacob

This is a quotation which shows that, in spite of years of separation, Joseph has not forgotten his father Jacob, and still cares about him. None of the relationships in the incorrect answers expressed this degree of love and concern, as recorded in the Bible. Terah, you may remember, had died in Haran, long before Abram or Lot came to the Promised Land.
7. According to the NKJV Bible, in Genesis, who said: "Get out of your country, from your family and from your father's house, to a land that I will show you."? (Genesis 12:1)

Answer: God, to Abram

It was only to Abram that God spoke in this way, sending him to a new land -- to Canaan.
8. According to the NKJV Bible, in Genesis, who said: "Please feed me with that same red stew, for I am weary."? (Genesis 25:30)

Answer: Esau, to Jacob

This is the famous "mess of pottage" for which Esau then traded his birthright. Oddly, the Bible does not appear to judge Jacob for scheming against his elder brother, to whom he should have been subject.
9. According to the NKJV Bible, in Genesis, who said: "He came in to me to lie with me, and I cried out with a loud voice. And it happened, when he heard that I lifted my voice and cried out, that he left his garment with me, and fled and went outside."? (Genesis 39:14b-15)

Answer: Potiphar's wife, to the servants, accusing Joseph

There are a number of illicit sexual encounters in Genesis, but you can pick this one out if you know the book well:
Tamar contrived her own encounter with Judah, her father-in-law, and would not have cried for help.
Dinah was raped, where this quotation indicates that the would-be rapist fled.
In Sarah's case, nothing actually happened between her and Abimelech (to whom Abraham had passed her off as his sister).
In the actual case, Potiphar's wife uses Joseph's garment (which she had snatched from him) as the false evidence with which to accuse him.
10. According to the NKJV Bible, in Genesis, who said: "Please let there be no strife between you and me, and between my herdsmen and your herdsmen; for we are brethren."? (Genesis 13:8)

Answer: Abram, to Lot

You may recall that after arriving in Canaan, the herdsmen and shepherds of Abram and Lot were fighting one another over grazing rights: this was Abram's response to Lot, and he went on to let Lot have first pick of the land in spite of the fact that, as Lot's uncle, he was the senior of the two.
11. According to the NKJV Bible, in Genesis, who said: "My son shall not go down with you, for his brother is dead, and he is left alone."? (Genesis 42:38)

Answer: Jacob to Reuben, referring to Benjamin

This is during the famine in Canaan, when they need more food. Reuben has just told Jacob that Pharaoh's Chancellor (Joseph) demanded that they bring young Benjamin on their return. "He is left alone" refers to the fact that only Joseph and Benjamin were the children of Rachel, Jacob's favourite wife, and that Jacob at this time still believes Joseph to be dead.
12. According to the NKJV Bible, in Genesis, who said: "I have had a dream, and there is no one who can interpret it."? (Genesis 41:15)

Answer: Pharaoh, to Joseph

Many people have dreams throughout Genesis; only one person complains that there was no one to interpret his dream. Thanks to the butler's testimony, Joseph has been pulled out of prison to serve as Pharaoh's dream interpreter.
13. According to the NKJV Bible, in Genesis, who said: "I will not let You go unless You bless me!"? (Genesis 32:26)

Answer: Jacob, to God

This is where Jacob wrestles with God as he camps by the Jabbok, and it is in consequence of this that God names him 'Israel', meaning 'he who has contended with God' (and, by implication, contended successfully).
14. According to the NKJV Bible, in Genesis, who said: "If it is your wish that I bury my dead out of my sight, hear me, and meet with Ephron the son of Zohar for me, that he may give me the cave of Machpelah which he has, which is at the end of his field. Let him give it to me at the full price, as property for a burial place among you."? (Genesis 23:8-9)

Answer: Abraham, to the sons of Heth, with reference to Sarah

Abraham's purchase of the cave of Machpelah is well-known. The site of the cave is traditionally believed to be at Hebron; there seems little reason to question tradition in this case. The passage is also interesting for its illustration of the typically near-Eastern pattern of negotiation, where trade is presented as an exchange of gifts, with imply obligations, rather than as a simple purchase and sale. I particularly enjoy Zohar's response (loosely paraphrased): "Oh, that land's worth a LOT. Like at least a hundred thousand. Never mind; go ahead and have it." What he actually means is, "This is the price at which I would like to open negotiations."
15. According to the NKJV Bible, in Genesis, who said: "Now let me die, since I have seen your face, because you are still alive."? (Genesis 46:30)

Answer: Jacob to Joseph

The enduring bond between Jacob the father and Joseph his son is both moving and memorable. In spite of the fact that Jacob has believed Joseph dead for decades, he has never forgotten the son for whom he had made that "coat of many colours".
16. According to the NKJV Bible, in Genesis, who said: "I will draw water for your camels also, until they have finished drinking."? (Genesis 24:19)

Answer: Rebekah, to Abraham's steward

I never realised what a generous offer this was until I found out how much camels can drink! Abraham's steward, on a mission to find Isaac a wife, must have been very, very impressed with Rebekah! Jacob moved the well-stone to water Rachel's sheep rather than she drawing water for him, and I trust you noticed that neither Ruth nor Zipporah appear in Genesis.
17. According to the NKJV Bible, in Genesis, who said: "Not so, my father, for this one is the firstborn; put your right hand on his head."? (Genesis 48:18)

Answer: Joseph to Jacob, speaking of Joseph's son Manasseh (and Ephraim)

This is Joseph, speaking to Jacob. We know from earlier in the quiz what happened between Esau and Jacob, and how Jacob stole Esau's blessing with Rebekah's guidance, so this was not Leah; we know that Ishmael (and his mother Hagar) were turned out into the desert, so it was not Hagar. When Jacob blessed his own sons, it is not recorded that he laid his hands on them.
18. According to the NKJV Bible, in Genesis, who said: "Come and let us sell him to the Ishmaelites, and let not our hand be upon him, for he is our brother and our flesh."? (Genesis 37:27)

Answer: Judah to his brothers, speaking of Joseph

C'mon, famous story this! Only one person in the Bible was ever sold off to Ishmaelites. Nobody sold Jacob, or Lot, or even Benjamin.
19. According to the NKJV Bible, in Genesis, who said: "But as for you, you meant evil against me; but God meant it for good, in order to bring it about as it is this day, to save many people alive."? (Genesis 50:20)

Answer: Joseph to his brothers, after Jacob's death

This can only be Joseph speaking to his brothers.
Abraham never imputed evil to Lot; Joseph's only recorded conversation with Pharaoh after the famine was to get permission to bury his father Jacob in Canaan, and Hagar never returned to have any conversation with Sarah after being cast out.
20. According to the NKJV Bible, in Genesis, who said: "The scepter shall not depart from Judah, Nor a lawgiver from between his feet, Until Shiloh comes; And to Him shall be the obedience of the people?" (Genesis 49:10)

Answer: Jacob, to his sons, on his deathbed

Jacob's deathbed speech includes this verse, regarded by many Christians as prophetic and referring to the Messiah, whom Christians identify as Jesus Christ. This passage was directed to Judah, while all of Jacob's sons were gathered around their dying father.
Source: Author Rimrunner

This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor CellarDoor before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.
5/27/2024, Copyright 2024 FunTrivia, Inc. - Report an Error / Contact Us