Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. In the Eastern Orthodox Church, the first Monday of Lent is a time of celebration. This is so people will not become downcast by the fasting, but see it as a time to make a 'new start' and draw closer to God. What is the day called?
2. On the first Wednesday of Lent, Roman Catholics attend services and have something placed on their foreheads. What is this?
3. Several churches observe similar guidelines about meals during Lent. These include reducing the size of meals, avoiding rich foods, and so on. People may also make changes in other ways. Which of the following is generally *not* true in these churches?
4. Most churches that observe Lent will allow certain exceptions to the fasting standards, for those with a pressing need. They may be allowed to eat more of certain types of foods. Which of these people would *not* qualify?
5. In some cultures, the day before the start of Lent, called Mardi Gras, or Carnival, is a celebration of one last time to do things not permitted during the fast. However, the day may be also called Shrove Tuesday. Why is that?
6. Lent is not only a time to fast, but also to pray. In the United Methodist Church, which of the following is the title of a Lenten meditation series written in 2010 by the Rev. Mark Price?
7. The object of Lenten fasting is not only to discipline oneself. In ancient times, one was expected to do which of the following?
8. The last day of Lent is Holy Saturday. In the Catholic Church, the policy is that the Easter Vigil Mass should begin at a particular time. What is that?
9. In the Lutheran Church, the minister will wear vestments of a certain color, as a sign of the repentance that is the theme of the season of Lent. What color is that?
10. Among children, one of the most anticipated traditions of the Lenten fast is the opportunity to break it. Which of the following is a snack often given as a gift to celebrate the end of the Lenten restrictions?
Source: Author neon000
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor CellarDoor
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.