Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. The mathematical symbol for infinity looks like which character turned on its side?
2. Which Dutch artist used many mathematical concepts, including infinity, in his work?
3. As there are an infinite number of whole numbers, how can the number of even numbers between one and infinity always be described?
4. If you want to move from A to B, you must first move half the distance from A to B. Then you must travel half the remaining distance. Then half of that, and so on, doing infinitely many moves. So, assuming you are moving at a constant speed, how is it possible to ever get anywhere?
5. One googol is 1 with 100 zeroes after it (10^100). One with one googol zeroes after it (10^[10^100]) is termed a 'googolplex'. So is a googolplex closer in value to infinity than one is?
6. It can be shown that the total number of real numbers (that is, numbers including fractions, pi, etc.) is different to the total number of whole numbers (1,2,3,etc.). So how is the second of these, the total number of whole numbers, described?
7. "The Paradoxes of the Infinite" was written in 1851 by which man?
8. So what is infinite? Is time infinite?
9. A black hole is, some theories predict, infinitely dense. So can one ever be detected?
10. Which great mathematician's work do modern concepts of infinity stem from?
Source: Author riotgrrl
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor crisw
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.