Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. The Sooners were barely ranked in the top 20 in pre-season polls. But fans were optimistic because of the return of a quarterback who the previous year had rewritten the Sooners' record books for passing stats in a season. Who is the junior-college transfer, whose 2000 accomplishments earned him a runner-up finish in Heisman Trophy voting?
2. The 2000 Oklahoma squad was ranked #14 when it faced its first conference opponent, the University of Kansas. Interestingly, OU's offensive coordinator during the 2000 season was coaching the Jayhawks a few years later. What is that coach's name?
3. Following a 4-0 start in September, the Sooners faced a formidable schedule of #11-ranked Texas, #2-ranked Kansas State and then #1-ranked Nebraska over a four-week span. With what "literary" nickname was that seemingly suicidal stretch tabbed by fans and the local media?
4. Some pundits proclaimed the Sooners to be "Texas State Champions" following the regular season. How many of OU's wins in 2000 were against schools from the Lone Star State?
5. What team did Oklahoma have to defeat twice in order to reach the BCS championship game?
6. Which Sooner set an Oklahoma record with seven touchdowns in the annual Cotton Bowl showdown against Texas?
7. The Sooners saw their championship hopes slipping away in College Station, Texas on November 11, as the Aggies twice built a 10-point lead in the second half. Still trailing Texas A&M by three points midway through the fourth quarter, whose 41-yard interception return gave Oklahoma the game-winning touchdown and rescued its undefeated season?
8. Another nail-biter came in Stillwater when the Sooners closed out the regular season against Oklahoma State University. Which Sooner defender knocked away a Cowboy pass into the end zone on fourth-and-goal to allow OU to escape with a 12-7 win?
9. Just days before the title game against heavily-favored Florida State, the leading receiver for the Seminoles was declared academically ineligible. What was the player's name?
10. Bob Stoops led the Sooners to an undefeated season and their seventh national title in his second year as head coach. But prior to coming to OU he was part of another national championship as a member of the coaching staff. At what school did he first earn a championship ring?
Source: Author BudBarryBob
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor gtho4
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.