Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. The first match of the World Cup was played on 12th June 2014, and saw hosts Brazil face Croatia. The match finished 3-1 in favor of the Brazilians. Which player, signed by Chelsea in 2012, scored Brazil's third goal after 90+1 minutes?
2. On June 14, 2014, Colombia earned its first three points of the competition, with a 3-0 victory. Colombians had shaken goalkeeper Karnezis' net early in the match, with a goal by Pablo Armero in the 5th minute. Teofilo Gutierrez scored the second in the 58th, and finally, James Rodriguez confirmed the win with a goal at 90+3. Which country, known as Hellas, lost this match?
3. On June 15, 2014, Ecuador played its first 2014 World Cup match. Even though Enner Valencia gained the lead for his country in the 22nd minute with a great header, Mehmedi equalised in the 48th and it all seemed like the game would end in a draw. Michael Arroyo almost scored in the very last minute, but the opposition took the ball away and Seferovic scored at 90+3 and earned the three points for his team. Which national team faced Ecuador on that day?
4. On June 21, 2014, the Mineirao Stadium at Belo Horizonte witnessed a game with very few emotions, something that was expected from a country like Iran, but certainly not Argentina. The "Albiceleste" played one of its worst games I've watched them play in years, and it all looked as the match would end 0-0, but at 90+1, which star, also the star of FC Barcelona, scored the winning goal for Argentina?
5. The USA faced Portugal on June 22, 2014, in the Arena Amazonia stadium. Portugal started the match's goal count early with a goal by Nani in the 5th minute. The U.S. would not wake up until the 64th minute, with a goal scored by Jermaine Jones. And then, Clint Dempsey gave hope to the Americans by scoring a goal in the 81st, seemingly sealing the victory for the U.S. Nevertheless, a header by Varela after 90+5 saved Portugal a single point, and took 2 pts from the USA. What is the first name of Varela? (Hint: it's similar to that of a cartoon cat)
6. June 23, 2014 saw Netherlands vs. Chile as a mere formality, we could say, since both teams were already qualified to the next stage. The match was somewhat interesting, but there were no big surprises. In the 77th minute, a goal finally was scored by the Dutch (by young player Leroy Fer), and at 90+2, another young player scored the definitive goal to make it 2-0. Which player, who debuted with PSV Eindhoven in 2011 (and also scored the defining goal in the 2014 World Cup against Australia), scored the second goal of the match?
7. It would be acceptable to say Greece had a stroke of luck on June 24, 2014 when they snatched the victory (and a spot in the round of 16), from Ivory Coast minutes from the end of the match. Samaris scored Greece's first goal with a pass from Samaras in the 42nd minute. Ivory Coast equalised in the 74th, which meant they and not Greece would qualify. In the very last minute of the match, referee Carlos Vera awarded a penalty and the goal was scored, giving Greece the round of 16 match. Who scored the penalty, Samaras or Samaris?
8. On June 29, 2014, one of the most painful matches I've ever personally witnessed took place in Fortaleza. Mexico, a team that has become obsessed with qualifying to the quarter-finals (which it has not done in decades), faced the Netherlands. Everything pointed to Dutch victory, but the Mexican team fought to hold on to a 1-0 lead, the problem was that the fight didn't last until the end of the match. In the 88th minute, Sneijder scored the equaliser for the Netherlands and, at 90+4, Klaas Jan Huntelaar sealed a dramatic victory. How was this last goal scored?
9. June 29, 2014 saw a dramatic match between Costa Rica and Greece. It wasn't so much because of the goals, as the match ended 1-1, but because of those plays that could have been goals but weren't. Bryan Ruiz put the advantage on the "Ticos" side of the ledger in the 52nd minute and then, at 90+1, Sokratis Papastathopoulos scored a goal that forced extra time (and eventually penalties). However, Papastathopoulos didn't really steal the show, but the Costa Rican goalkeeper, who made incredible saves during the match and stopped a penalty, did. Who was their goalkeeper in this match?
10. Even though France vs Nigeria sounded like a one-sided match under normal circumstances, the French struggled with the African team, which actually gave a great competition. The game was pretty much boring, and we barely saw emotions until the 79th minute, when young French player Paul Pogba scored the first goal and, to make matters worse, Nigerian player Yobo scored an own goal at 90+2, confirming France's victory. What's the first name of this unlucky player?
11. Germany, who went on to become World Champions, had a hard time with an opponent that could be considered as easy, given the differences in soccer level and history between the two nations. In the round of 16, the match ended 0-0 and extra time had to be played. At 92 minute mark, Schurrle scored a goal for Germany and, at in the 120th, Ozil assured Germany advancing to the next stage. During injury time at the end of extra time, Abdelmoumene Djabou tried to give a bit of hope to his team, but it was too late. Which nation lost against the Germans in this match?
12. Argentina played Switzerland on July 1, 2014 for a ticket to the quarter-finals. Argentina kept playing in a quite boring style, making little effort to get the ball in the net for 90 minutes, and highlighting the Swiss goalkeeper Benaglio. Which player scored Argentina's goal in the 118th minute, winning the match?
13. Belgium played the USA in the last round of 16 match. Tim Howard was chosen as Man of the Match as he saved more than 20 goal occasions from Belgium, driving social networks crazy. How many goals were scored in extra time?
14. After a humiliating 7-1 defeat at the hands of Germany, hosts Brazil surely didn't want to play the third place match against the Netherlands! They did, however, and again lost, disappointing its people even more. The first goal of the match was scored early, in a doubtful penalty scored by Van Persie in the 3rd minute. Fourteen minutes later, Blind scored the second and at 90+1, a rather young player scored his first goal in a World Cup. Which player was this?
15. The legendary Maracana Stadium witnessed the last match of the 2014 World Cup on 13th July 2014. Germany faced Argentina in a match that turned out to be less than what was expected. The match was dragged into extra time with a 0-0 score at fulltime, and at the 113 min. mark, this German player stole the show and gave his country the trophy. Which player scored the stunning goal that gave Germany the championship?
Source: Author Lpez
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor gtho4
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.