Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Super Bowl I, originally called "The First World Championship AFL vs. NFL", was played on January 15, 1967 in Los Angeles. The NFL champion Green Bay Packers faced off against the AFL's Kansas City Chiefs. The Packers trounced the Chiefs 35-10 making the Green Bay Packers the first team to win the Super Bowl. Who was the MVP who helped the Packers to the big victory?
2. Super Bowl II was played on January 14, 1968 in Miami and featured the Green Bay Packers in back-to-back Super Bowls, again as the NFL champion. The AFL's champion this time would be the Oakland Raiders. Once again the NFL proved their dominance over the AFL when the Packers won the game 33-14. The Packers became the first franchise to win multiple Super Bowls as well as two Super Bowls in a row. Who was named MVP for Super Bowl II?
3. Super Bowl III is one of the greatest upsets in football history. Played on January 12, 1969 in Miami, The underdog New York Jets of the AFL defeated the heavily favored Baltimore Colts of the NFL 16-7, "proving that AFL teams could compete with the NFL". Who was the brash MVP of this game who not only predicted a Jets victory, he guaranteed it?
4. The last Super Bowl before the NFL-AFL merger was Super Bowl IV. For the second consecutive year the AFL upset the NFL when the previous participants of Super Bowl I, Kansas City Chiefs, beat the Minnesota Vikings 23-7. Who was the offensive player who was named MVP; that led his team to victory?
5. On January 17, 1971, Super Bowl V, the first modern-era Super Bowl following the AFL-NFL merger, was played in Miami. The AFC champions, the Baltimore Colts squared off against the NFC champ, the Dallas Cowboys. This game is sometimes referred to as the "Blunder Bowl" due to the number of turnovers, penalties, and all around poor play. The Colts managed to kick a last second field goal to win the game 16-13. The performance by the Colts was such a disaster for a winning team, that the MVP honors actually went to a player from the losing Cowboys. Who was the player that was bestowed this hollow honor?
6. Super Bowl VI was held on January 16, 1972 in New Orleans and featured the NFC champion, the Dallas Cowboys coming off their loss in Super Bowl V. The AFC champions, the Miami Dolphins were making their first Super Bowl appearance. The Cowboys dominated over the Dolphins not even allowing Miami to score a touchdown and winning the game 24-3. Who was the MVP for this game?
7. History was made on January 14, 1973 when the returning AFC champions, the Miami Dolphins (they lost the previous year's Super Bowl) were able to defeat the NFC's Washington Redskins in Super Bowl VII. The Dolphins won the game 14-7 to cap off the first ever perfect season in the NFL going 17-0, and not losing a single game in the 1972 season and postseason. Who was awarded the MVP honors for this historic game?
8. Super Bowl VIII was held on January 13, 1974 in Houston and featured two previous Super Bowl contenders. The AFC's Miami Dolphins made their third straight appearance in a Super Bowl and the NFC champion Minnesota Vikings were looking for a Super Bowl championship after their loss to Kansas City in Super Bowl IV. The Dolphins' offense proved too much for the "Purple People Eaters" and Miami won the game handily 24-7. Who was the MVP who helped the Dolphins to victory?
9. Super Bowl IX played on January 12, 1975, in New Orleans was the beginning of a dynasty. The Pittsburgh Steelers entered as the AFC champion playing against the NFC's Minnesota Vikings making a second straight Super Bowl appearance. The game was mostly a defensive struggle, but the Steelers ultimately won the game 16-6 securing Pittsburgh's first Super Bowl win and making the Vikings the first team to lose back-to-back Super Bowls. One player dominated the offense and was awarded MVP honors. Who?
10. On January 18, 1976, Super Bowl X was held in Miami and would once again feature the AFC champion Pittsburgh Steelers defending their title against the NFC champion Dallas Cowboys. The Steelers dominated the Cowboys with their "Steel Curtain" defense and rallied late in the game to score 14 unanswered points and win the game 21-17, becoming the third team to win back-to-back Super Bowls. Who was the MVP of Super Bowl X?
11. Super Bowl XI was played on January 9, 1977 in the Rose Bowl in Pasadena. The AFC champion Oakland Raiders were finally making a second Super Bowl after three straight losses in the AFC championship game. The NFC champion Minnesota Vikings were making their fourth Super Bowl appearance and looking for their first win. The Raiders scored on three consecutive possessions in the first half to take a 16-0 lead and never fell behind winning the game 32-14 and securing the Raiders' first Super Bowl title. Who was awarded MVP honors for this game?
12. Super Bowl XII played on January 15, 1978 in New Orleans would feature the NFC's Dallas Cowboys, making their fourth Super Bowl appearance. The AFC's Denver Broncos and their "Orange Crush" defense were looking to win their first Super Bowl title. The Cowboys defense forced 8 turnovers by the Broncos' offense and Dallas dominated the rest of the way winning the game 27-10. For the first time in a Super Bowl the honors of MVP went to two of the Cowboys' amazing defense. Name one of them.
13. History would be made again in Super Bowl XIII played on January 21, 1979 in Miami and would feature the first rematch in a Super Bowl as the NFC champion Dallas Cowboys faced off against the AFC champion Pittsburgh Steelers (as they did three years earlier in Super Bowl X). The game was close up to the fourth quarter until Pittsburgh scored two touchdowns in the span of 19 seconds in the fourth quarter. Dallas kept it close, but could not overtake the Steelers and Pittsburgh became the first franchise to win three Super Bowls winning Super Bowl XIII 35-31. Who was appropriately awarded MVP honors for this game?
14. Super Bowl XIV was held on January 20, 1980 in Pasadena and featured the AFC's reigning champion Pittsburgh Steelers against the NFC's Los Angeles Rams. The first three quarters were close but Pittsburgh dominated the fourth quarter scoring 14 unanswered points with a pair of touchdowns. The Steelers won the game 31-19 and secured their fourth Super Bowl title in just six years. Who was the player who received the MVP honors?
15. Super Bowl XV was held in New Orleans on January 25, 1981 and featured the AFC champion Oakland Raiders. The Philadelphia Eagles represented the NFC and were making their first Super Bowl appearance. The Raiders got out to a 14-0 lead in the first quarter that the Eagles could never catch up to. The motley Raiders won the game handily 27-10 and became the first wild card team to win the Super Bowl. Who was the MVP?
16. Another dynasty would be born in the 1981 season as the NFC champion San Francisco 49ers faced off against the AFC champion Cincinnati Bengals in Super Bowl XVI. On January 24, 1982 in Pontiac, Michigan, both teams were making their first appearance in a Super Bowl. The 49ers built a 20-0 lead at halftime, but the Bengals rallied back in the second half. Ultimately, the 49ers defense was able to hold back the Bengals, and win the game 26-21 for their first Super Bowl victory. Who was the legend who earned MVP honors?
17. Super Bowl XVII would come off the heels of a significantly shortened season due to the players strike, but amidst all the controversy, the game would still be held on January 30, 1983, in Pasadena. The Washington Redskins of the NFC would rematch the AFC's Miami Dolphins ten years from Super Bowl VII. Miami built a 17-10 lead at the half, but the Redskins would come back in the second half scoring 17 unanswered points and winning the game 27-17, earning Washington's first Super Bowl title. Who was the MVP of Super Bowl XVII?
18. On January 22, 1984 Super Bowl XVIII was held in Tampa Bay and featured the defending champions, the Washington Redskins of the NFC off their victory from the previous year. The opponent would be the AFC's Los Angeles Raiders making their fourth Super Bowl appearance and looking for their third Super Bowl title. The Raiders took a dominant 21-3 lead in the first half and never let up winning the game handily 38-9. Which Raider earned the hallowed MVP honors?
19. Super Bowl XIX was held on January 20, 1985, in Stanford California and featured two of the biggest quarterbacks of the era. Joe Monatana and the NFC champion San Francisco 49ers were back looking for another title. Their opponents were Dan Marino and the AFC champion Miami Dolphins. The 49ers only ever trailed in the first quarter, 10-7 and came back in a dominating fashion. They scored three touchdowns in the second quarter and scored the only points of the second half with 10 unanswered points. The 49ers defeated the Dolphins easily winning the game 38-16. Who secured the MVP honors for this game?
20. Arguably one of the greatest teams to grace the field was Mike Ditka and the 1985 Chicago Bears. On January 26, 1986, Super Bowl XX featured the NFC champion Bears against the cinderella New England Patriots of the AFC. The Bears dominated both offensively and defensively holding the Patriots to negative yardage (-19) in the first half. The Bears not suprisingly, won the game 46-10 setting a new record for scoring the most points in a Super Bowl. Who was named MVP of Super Bowl XX?
21. Super Bowl XXI was played on January 25, 1987 in Pasadena and featured the New York Giants of the NFC making their first Super Bowl appearance, playing against the AFC's Denver Broncos. The Giants got off to a slow start only scoring 9 points in the first half and trailing the Broncos 10-9 at the half. The Giants then mounted a second half offensive that produced a stunning 30-point comeback and won the Giants their first Super Bowl victory 39-20. Who became the MVP of Super Bowl XXI?
22. Another players strike would shorten the NFL's 1987 season (previously was the 1982 season), but Super Bowl XXII was still held on January 31, 1988 in San Diego. The NFC champion Washington Redskins were making their fourth Super Bowl appearance against the AFC champion Denver Broncos, who were making a second consecutive Super Bowl appearance. After trailing 10-0, the Redskins staged a comeback of mythic proportions scoring 42 unanswered points and blowing out the Broncos 42-10 for their second Super Bowl title. Who was the unlikely MVP of this Super Bowl?
23. Super Bowl XXIII was held on January 22, 1989 in Miami and featured a rematch between the NFC's San Francisco 49ers and the AFC's Cincinnati Bengals. A tight game throughout and San Francisco trailing 16-13, the highlight of Super Bowl XXIII was the 49ers' fourth quarter 92 yard touchdown drive with in under three minutes finishing with 34 seconds left on the clock, winning the game 20-16 and earning their third Super Bowl title. Which 49er was awarded the MVP title?
24. Undeniably the NFL's team of the 1980s was the San Francisco 49ers and they would close out the decade in a dominating fashion. Super Bowl XXIV was played on January 28, 1990 and the 49ers faced off against the AFC champion Denver Broncos. In the most lopsided victory to date, the game wasn't even a contest as the 49ers scored eight touchdowns in the game and scored a record 55 points, in a landslide victory over the Broncos 55-10. The 49ers earned their fourth Super Bowl victory in just eight years. Who was rightfully awarded the MVP honors?
25. Super Bowl XXV was played on January 27, 1991 in Tampa during a turbulent time in the USA, as a war was being fought in the Persian Gulf. The NFC champion New York Giants were making their second Super Bowl appearance in four years and would be faced off against the AFC champion Buffalo Bills and their dominating no-huddle offense. The Giants took complete control over the clock having a record possession time of 40:33, 9 minutes and 29 seconds of that time were spent on a 75-yard touchdown drive. The game was very close and is best remembered for the Bills last-second field goal attempt. With eight seconds left in the game, Bills kicker Scott Norwood attempted a 47-yard field goal, but the ball went wide right from the uprights and lead to the Giants victory 20-19. Who was the MVP?
Source: Author kevalex34
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor gtho4
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.