Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. The Mt Panorama racetrack is located in Bathurst, about three hours drive west of Sydney, Australia. The most well known event is the Bathurst 1000, held each October, a grueling 1,000 kilometres. OK, strap on your safety harness, and let's go for a drive!
The start and finish lines at the Mt Panorama racetrack are adjacent to the pits. The area does not have a fancy name, like some of the other features on the circuit. What rather obvious name does the first part of the racetrack have?
2. At the end of the first straight at Mt Panorama, there is a hard left-hand corner. This turn sees a lot of jockeying for position, especially on the opening lap of a race. If there is going to be an accident, this is probably where it will happen. What ghoulish name is given to this bend?
3. After coming through the first corner at Mt Panorama, drivers will start to climb. A nice long straight, with a hump towards the end, and a sharp right-hander at the top. What is this straight called, the second fastest bit of the track?
4. At the top of the first straight on the Mt Panorama track, there is a hard right-hander, named after a former mayor of the city. What is the name of this corner?
5. Coming out of the right hander, we hit The Cutting, a steep and narrow part of the Mt Panorama track. On the right there are a couple of spectator areas. What are the names of these parks?
6. McPhillamy Park marks the start of the journey down the mountain in the Bathurst 1000, and is the third of the main spectator areas. On the road, the track is a quick left hander, with the road disappearing at the end of a short straight. The next corner is a slow, plunging corner named after which legend of the Australian racing scene?
7. On our quick lap around Bathurst's Mt Panorama, we have just crossed Skyline, and are faced with a series of corners that require a very deft touch of the controls. We are about three-quarters of the way through the hot lap, if we can get through this bit without hitting any walls. What is this section called, that sounds like a letter of the alphabet?
8. The entrance to the final straight at Mt Panorama was named after a motorbike racer who crashed there. It is a sweeping left-hand turn, and it is important to get a good line through it. What is the name of this corner?
9. You are now heading down the mountain on the longest and fastest part of the circuit - time to put her in top gear, and put your pedal to the floor. Your speedometer is hovering around the 300kph mark! It was formerly known as Main Straight, but was renamed in 1939. Which engine part is it now known as?
10. Only one more corner, and you have survived a lap around the iconic racetrack that is Mt Panorama. What is the last corner on the circuit, a place where a lot of cars come together in braking duels?
Source: Author ozzz2002
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor stuthehistoryguy
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.