Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. The first Jesuit university in the United States was also the first Catholic university in the country. Which school is it?
2. One of the Jesuit universities in the U.S. is named after a famous Jesuit explorer who was the first non-native, with his fellow companion and explorer, Louis Joliet, to map the Mississippi River.
3. A small college on the west coast with land purchased by Father Joseph Cataldo, S.J. for a mere $936.00, had its first enrollment of 18 young men. This university is now well known for its almost yearly appearance in March Madness. Which Jesuit university of about 7,000 students is it?
4. In 1825, Father Benedict Fenwick, S.J. envisioned a college in the city to educate future leaders. Not until 1863 was the charter approved by the state. Which city college was this?
5. Not only is this college the oldest college west of the Mississippi River, it is the second oldest Jesuit university in the nation. Which college, in the heart of a Midwestern city, is it?
6. This Jesuit college was founded in 1886 and was called St. Ignatius College, strictly a college for men. It was renamed in 1923 after the first Catholic archbishop in the U.S. What is this college called today?
7. With a nationally ranked MBA program, this small school in Ohio was the fourth Jesuit college in the U.S. and was established in 1831. Which school is it?
8. One block from Independence Hall in Philadelphia, founded by Father Felix Barbelin, S.J., 30 young men came together in a courtyard of a church in order to learn. From these humble beginnings we now have which university?
9. The oldest institution of higher learning in the Western U.S. was founded in 1851 and is now referred to as the "Jesuit University in Silicon Valley". Which university is this?
10. This is the largest Jesuit Catholic university in the United States. When it was founded in 1870, it was called St. Ignatius College after the founder of the Jesuits. Which school is it that has four campuses, one of them in Rome?
Source: Author oldstuff28
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Bruyere
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.