Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Thomas Jefferson married his wife, Martha Wayles Skelton, in 1772, when she was aged 24. It was her second marriage and she was a widow when she and Jefferson met. They were married for ten years before her early death. What did Jefferson do when she died?
2. He was the sixth President of the United States, from 1825 to 1829, and his wife was born overseas. Who was he?
3. The seventh President of the United States, Andrew "Old Hickory" Jackson fought thirteen duels in his lifetime. What was the cause of almost all of them?
4. In 1795, the future ninth President of the United States, who died whilst in office, eloped with and married the love of his life. Who was he?
5. "I love you, Sarah. For all eternity, I love you". Which President spoke these beautiful words to his wife on his deathbed?
6. Franklin Pierce, the 14th President of the United States, had a wife who was described as "The Shadow in the White House". For several reasons, his marriage turned out to be an unhappy one. Of what did he die in 1869?
7. Abraham Lincoln had several attacks of cold feet leading up to his wedding to Mary Todd, even calling the wedding off once. However, he eventually, and gloomily, made it to the altar in 1842. While getting dressed for the occasion on his wedding day, someone asked him where he was going. What was his doleful reply?
8. The seventeenth President of the United States, Andrew Johnson, married Eliza McCardle when he was eighteen and she was sixteen. It had basically been love at first sight for the young couple. What did she teach him?
9. President Ulysses S. Grant had a happy marriage to his wife Julia, even though he had to propose to her several times before she finally accepted him. What slight physical disability did she have that he found endearing?
10. Rutherford B. Hayes was the nineteenth President of the United States from 1877 to 1881. His wife Lucy and he were very happily married and on her death, flags across the nation were lowered at half mast in memory of "the most idolized woman in America". She did, however, have one peculiarity as mistress of the White House, which earned her what nickname?
Source: Author Creedy
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor trident
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.