Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. The Dickin Medal has a striped ribbon - green, dark brown and pale blue. Given that the recipients all served in a military or military connected unit, for what do these colours stand?
2. Bob, a mongrel was an official army dog, working on patrol in North Africa. On one occasion he stopped during a patrol and refused to go further. What had he realised?
3. In 1945 two Alsatians were individually awarded the Dickin Medal. They had worked with the Civil Defence League during the London Blitz. What was their job?
4. Rex was an Alsatian who won the Dickin Medal for working with the Civil Defence League. His citation reads "For outstanding good work in the location of casualties, braving buildings, undaunted by smouldering debris, thick smoke, intense heat and ...what else?
5. In July 1945 Sheila was awarded the Dickin Medal for ".. assisting in the rescue of four American airmen lost on the Cheviots (a range of hills in England) during a blizzard after an air crash in December 1944. What was her "civilian" job that made her particularly suitable for such a rescue?
6. Judy was a pedigree pointer, imprisoned in Japan during WII with her owners. Which of these things did she -NOT- do?
7. Punch and Judy were a pair of boxer dogs honoured with the Dickin Medal in November, 1946. These dogs were both injured in Palestine, with Punch being shot four times and Judy grazed across her back. What were they doing when this happened?
8. After WWII, it was necessary to clear the verges of the canals of mines. Ricky, a Welsh collie, was awarded the Dickin Medal for being exceptionally brave.
What did he do when one exploded?
9. Brian was an Alsatian attached to the 13th Airborne Battalion of the Airborne Division. He won a Dickin Medal when he took part in the Normandy landings. How did he get there? (Think of which division of the forces he was in.)
10. Dickin Medals are awarded to animals other than dogs. Which kind of animal was awarded the most medals between 1943 and 2013?
Source: Author Toeknee448
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Tizzabelle
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.