Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. The robber crab gets its name because of its alleged habit of stealing which fruit, from which it gets an alternate name?
2. The robber crab is commonly believed to be the largest what in the world?
3. The International Union for Conservation of Nature labels the robber crabs' conservation status as "data deficient." What specifically does this mean?
4. Robber crabs are excellent swimmers and have been observed swimming from island to island in the South Pacific.
5. Which Swedish scientist named the species Cancer latro, Latin for robber crab?
6. Why is it recommended that one should NOT eat robber crab while vacationing in the South Pacific, where it sometimes appears on menus?
7. How do the antennae of robber crabs compare to those of other crab species?
8. What, since 2005, has been endangering the once well-protected robber crabs on Christmas Island, an Australian territory in the Indian Ocean?
9. What will happen to a robber crab if it cannot find a new shell when it grows out of its old one?
10. In 2012, a "Discovery News" article speculated that which famous woman may never be found because of robber crabs?
Source: Author Joepetz
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Tizzabelle
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.