Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. I am the birthstone for the month of January. I come in many colors, but usually I am red or reddish-purple. Some people say my name is derived from a fruit called a pomegranate. What gemstone am I?
2. I am another gem that can come in many colors, but the ones you see most often are colorless. I am the birthstone for the month of April, and you might find me in an engagement or wedding ring. I am famous for being the hardest of all naturally occuring gemstones. What gemstone am I?
3. I am a beautiful opaque blue gemstone, used by Native Americans in western states to make beautiful silver jewelry. I am one of the birthstones for the month of December, and my name is derived from the name of a country. What gemstone am I?
4. I am a variety of quartz, and I am usually purple in color. I am the birthstone for the month of February. I was once very expensive, but now I am only considered a semi-precious gem. What gemstone am I?
5. Most gems show only a single color, but I usually have a shimmering display of colors called "fire." I am associated with the country of Australia, where many of the best specimens are found, and I am the birthstone for the month of October. What gemstone am I?
6. Unlike most gemstones which are minerals formed deep within the earth, I am made by a living creature. I am usually round, although I can occur in other shapes. Like many gems, I can come in a variety of colors, but most commonly I am white. I am the birthstone for the month of June, and I am sometimes used as a girl's name. What gemstone am I?
7. I am a deep red gemstone, and I am the birthstone for the month of July. I am one of the most valuable of all gems, especially in sizes of over one carat. Finest examples come from the country of Myanmar, formerly known as Burma, and my most prized color is known as "pigeon's blood." What gemstone am I?
8. I am a green gemstone, and I am the birthstone for the month of May. I am found in many places around the world, but my finest examples come from Colombia. You might associate me with a city in "The Wizard of Oz." What gemstone am I?
9. I am another gemstone made by a living thing. I am usually yellow, brown, or orange in color, and sometimes have insects or plant matter trapped inside me. If I am rubbed with a piece of silk, I can generate static electricity. Like many other gems, I am often used as a girl's name. What gemstone am I?
10. Unlike most gems, I come in only one color, green. I am the birthstone for the month of August. I was known in ancient times, and was highly prized by the Romans and Egyptians. What gemstone am I?
Source: Author daver852
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor NatalieW
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.