Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Aristophanes' oldest known complete play, the earliest known complete comedic play in Western civilization is about... war. (I know, I'd have picked "sex" too, so I didn't make that the question.) "The Acharnians" was first performed during the Peloponnesian war that it satirized. This conflict was between Athens and which paranoid, militaristic state?
2. Some would say, "War is nothing to joke about, at least while it's going on." That's probably why there were banners in the crowd of protesters reading, "No Vulgar Joker For President". Which wartime US president's war-related humor during a war earned this rebuke?
3. World War I, the war many wished would end all wars, was a brutal struggle resulting in roughly 40 million deaths. What gifted English comedic actor starred in the war comedy "Shoulder Arms" released before the carnage ended?
4. Britain was subjected to devastating bombing raids and the constant fear of invasion. Their soldiers were in combat around the globe. Which account of British humor amid wartime horrors has the BBC NOT reported?
5. It's 1939. Clark Gable stars in a musical comedy/drama about a World War I veteran trapped in Switzerland at the beginning of World War II. What is the actual and somehow most fitting name for such an offering?
6. In Joseph Heller's irreverently humorous novel "Catch-22", the character Yossarian thinks insanity should disqualify him from military service. But there's a catch, Catch-22. Realizing the insanity of war actually proves his sanity. What type of soldier was Yossarian?
7. James Garner played the self-centered coward. Julie Andrews was the idealistic war widow. What is the name of this fictional account of events surrounding the D-day invasion?
8. In the three decades following World War II, a number of television war comedies came into being. In which comedy did the Nazi Sergeant Schultz try but humorously fail to terrorize prison camp inmates?
9. Which movie taught us that suicide was painless?
10. There were many books and movies about the war that didn't happen in the 20th century: World War III. In which film is there a scene with Slim Pickens riding a missile?
Source: Author uglybird
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor agony
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.