Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. This Belgian city is home to a Roman Catholic cathedral, the Cathedral of Our Lady, which is the see of the diocese of Antwerp. It contains four paintings by Pieter Paul Rubens, including "Assumption of the Virgin Mary". Located on the River Scheldt, which city is this?
2. This Spanish city is in the community of Valencia, is a port on the Costa Blanca, and is home to the Castle of Santa Barbara atop Mount Benacantil. The Roman settlement on this site was called Lucentum; which city is it?
3. Augsburg was founded in 15 BC and became the capital of the Roman province of Raetia. Its famous citizens include composer Leopold Mozart (the father of Wolfgang Mozart), playwright Bertolt Brecht, and inventor Rudolf Diesel. In which state, Germany's largest, is it situated?
4. Which of these is a Russian city situated on the banks of the Volga, only about 60 miles (100 km) from the Caspian Sea, and less than 50 miles (80 km) from the Russian-Kazakh border? It is situated in an oblast of the same name.
5. This city was the capital of the historical province of Anjou in France. It is situated near the confluence of three rivers: the Mayenne, the Sarthe, and the Loir, which form the River Maine. Its chateau was founded by the Counts of Anjou in the 8th century and holds the oldest French medieval tapestry, the Apocalypse Tapestry. Which city is this?
6. This Italian city is a seaport on the Adriatic Sea whose name is derived from the Greek for "elbow". It was the site of a World War II battle, and is the capital of the region Marche. The Arch of Trajan can be seen here, and in 1464 Pope Pius II died here. Which city is it?
7. The city of Almada is on the River Tagus with the Atlantic Ocean to its west. Historically it was important as a trade center between the Moors and Romans, as well as others including Phoenicians. It was also a significant military base for the Moors. In which country does Almada lie?
8. This is a city in the east of the Ukraine, located about 40 miles (65 km) from the Russian border. As a consequence, most of its people speak Russian as a native language rather than Ukrainian. Known for its iron and steel works, it has the former names of Voroshylovsk and Komunarsk. Which of these cities is it?
9. Which of these Dutch cities, in the province Gelderland, was the site of a World War II battle under Operation Market Garden, on which the 1974 book "A Bridge Too Far" is based? The city is located on the banks of the Nederrijn River.
10. This city is situated in the north of its country between the mouths of two rivers. Famous for its many parks and gardens, it has a rich culture, with many museums and landmark buildings including the Marischal College. Its inhabitants speak a dialect of the local language known as Doric. Which city is it?
Source: Author reeshy
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Pagiedamon
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.