Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Every time we travel to the US, the first port of call is south of Los Angeles. Demands are always made by the younger family members to visit the city that is "home by the river". Where are we heading?
2. Back to Los Angeles now and a serious visit to an observatory and planetarium is in order for one member of the family. So we head to Griffith Park and Observatory. The rest of us want to see the planetarium show but not all of the displays, so we wait outside. What sign on a nearby hill catches our eye?
3. Back to central Los Angeles and the La Brea Tarpits. Not more science excursions in what is supposed to be a holiday! We are impressed by the grounds and the museum however, and this prompts lots of questions about the animals that were trapped in the asphalt. Everyone wants to know "What is the most common of the large mammal remains found here?"
4. Next major stop San Francisco - we head north from Los Angeles along the coastal roads. The children are fascinated by the name Big Sur. Of course they ask "Is there anything named Little Sur?"
5. Finally - San Francisco. Our first port of call is - wait for it - The Palace of Fine Arts. For what event was it originally built?
6. It has been a long week but there are plans to travel across the Bay to the Lawrence Hall of Science. After another "cool" hands on science visit, some family members want to visit the rest of the campus. Which university are we visiting?
7. As we spend more time in San Francisco we realise there are many comparisons that can be drawn between this city and our own Sydney, Australia. So we make lists. What do the two cities have in common?
8. It is the weekend again and the family decides to head east from San Francisco. As we come to Altamont Pass we are amazed at the type of farming that is being practised here. Are these giant monsters that cover the hills part of the quest for alternative energies?
9. Finally we reach our destination in the High Sierra Mountains. The Merced River, El Capitan and Glacier Point are all featured on our local map. Where are we?
10. We are now heading back to Los Angeles for the long trip home. As we drive down Highway 5, I reflect on what has been a wonderful holiday. I think of one particular event that firmly links California and Australia. It was prompted by Edward Hargreaves who saw similarities between parts of this US state and his home country. What is the event?
Source: Author Nannanut
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor minch
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.