Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. This Romanian city came under Austria in 1699 and was for a time the capital of Transylvania. In German it was known as Hermannstadt.
2. This Swiss city was ruled by abbots as princes of the Holy Roman Empire from 1206. It was made the capital of a canton with the same name in 1803.
3. This city is the capital of Loire Dept., France. It was an important center of the textile and dyeing industry. It was the terminus of the first French railway and the site of the first steel mill in France.
4. This English city on the Trent River is the center of the Staffordshire pottery-making industry.
5. This Albanian city was the ancient capital of Illyria. Today it is the third largest city of Albania.
6. This city was the capital of Serbia 1430-39 and 1444-59.
7. This city is the capital of Mecklenburg-West Pomerania, Germany.
8. This Italian city became independent in the 12th century. It was the seat of the pro-imperial Ghibellines and a rival of Florence. It was conquered by Charles of Anjou, king of Naples and Sicily, in 1270.
9. This city was the scene of the crowning of the kings of Hungary 1027-1527. It was occupied by the Turks in 1543.
10. This Polish city was formerly called Pomorze Zachodnie. It was incorporated into the Polish state by Mieszko I at the end of the 10th century. It fell to Sweden in 1648, to Prussia in 1720. Today it is one of Poland´s chief ports.
11. This Austrian city was known as Juvavum by the Romans. It is one of Austria´s principal tourist centers and one of the major music centers of Western Europe.
12. This Spanish city was captured in 712 by the Moors and became an important city in the Western caliphate. It was captured in 1248 by Ferdinand III. After 1492 it became the center of Spanish colonial trade.
13. This Russian city was known as Kuybyshev 1935-1991. It became the temporary capital of the USSR in October 1941 when Moscow was threatened by German advance.
14. This city is the capital of Macedonia. It has also been the medieval capital of Serbia. It was under Turkish rule 1392-1913.
15. This city is the capital of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Source: Author author
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor minch
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.