Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. This seaport in Ukraine was founded around a Tatar fortress in the 14th century. It was passed to Turkey in 1764 and to Russia in 1791. It was made a naval base and port in 1794. It was given its present name in 1795.
2. This Spanish city was formerly known as Asturias. It was the former capital of the Asturias kingdom in the ninth century. It is the present capital of Asturias autonomous community and province.
3. This Norwegian city was formerly known as Christiania or Kristiania.
4. This Romanian city near the Hungarian border was known as Nagyvárad in Hungarian and Grosswardein in German.
5. This Belgian city is a seaport and a seaside resort. During WWI it was used as a German submarine base.
6. This city in central Sweden is the capital of a province with the same name.
7. This Italian city town called Hydruntum in Roman times.It was an important port both in Roman and Byzantine times. It was destroyed by the Turks in 1480.
8. This English city has been the site of a university since the 12th century.
9. This city is the fourth largest of Croatia. It is situated on the Drava River.
10. This city on Fyn Island is Denmark´s third largest. It is the birthplace of the author Hans Christian Andersen (1805).
11. This city in Finland is called Uleåborg in Swedish. It is situated on the Gulf of Bothnia.
12. This French city a commune of Vaucluse dept. It was known as Arausio under Roman times. It was the capital of a former principality. It became a possession of the house of Nassau in the 16th century.
13. This Russian city was the capital of Kirghiz Autonomous Republic (now Kyrgyzstan) from 1920-24. The name was changed to Chkalov in 1938 in honor of Russian aviator V.P.Chkalov, but it was again renamed its present name in 1957.
14. This Czech city was the capital of Moravia until 1640.
15. This city was the capital of a former German state, since 1946 part of Lower Saxony. It became a grand duchy in the early 19th century. The last grand duke abdicated in 1918.
Source: Author author
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor minch
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.