Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. This city is the capital of an administrative subdivision in Ukraine with the same name. It was scene of a decisive battle in 1709 in which Czar Peter the Great defeated the Swedes under Charles XII.
2. This city in Bavaria, Germany is situated at the confluence of the Danube, the Inn and the Ilz Rivers.
3. This city is called Philippopolis in Greek.It was made capital of Thrace in Roman times under the name Trimontium. It is the second largest city of Bulgaria.
4. This city was made a royal burgh in 1210 and was the capital of Scotland until 1437 when James I of Scotland was murdered here.
5. The university of this city is the second oldest of Italy (1222). Astronomer Galileo, anatomist Fallopio and poets Dante, Petrarch and Tasso were among the students.
6. This city in England (in Devon) includes the Devonport naval dockyard, a major facility of the British Navy. It was the last port touched by "Mayflower" before the voyage to America in 1620.
7. This city is the capital of Montenegro.
8. This city is the capital of Kosovo.
9. This city is the second largest of Portugal. It´s a seaport city on the Douro River.
10. This city is the fifth largest of Poland. It is situated on the Warta River. It is one of the oldest cities of Poland. It prospered as a trading center from the 15th to the 17th centuries, but declined due to the Great Nordic War (1700-21).
11. This Czech city west south west of Prague is known for its breweries. (Czech or German spelling, no circumflexes).
12. This city is the fifth largest of Hungary. It was called Fünfkirchen in German. It is the center of a coal-mining region.
13. This city is the capital of Dordogne dept., France. It was called Vesuna by the Romans.
14. This city in Romania is the center of important oil fields, oil refineries and petrochemical plants. In August 1943 it was bombed by Allied aircraft. It was occupied by the USSR August 31, 1944.
15. This city is the capital of Navarra autonomous community and province, Spain.
Source: Author author
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor minch
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.