Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. In 1936 this Norwegian figure skater set a record that has never been beaten; she is the only skater in history to win 10 consecutive world championships. That same year she began a movie career with the film "One In A Million".
2. In 1932 Joe Shuster and Jerry Siegel created which enduring superhero that has been immortalized in the comics, television and film?
3. Following the abdication of King Edward VIII in 1936, his brother Albert became king and was crowned George VI in May 1937. Who became the first in line to the British throne?
4. During the Spanish Civil War in 1937, American volunteers served with the Spanish Republican forces against Generalissimo Francisco Franco and his Nationalists. What was the name of this now famous group of volunteers?
5. In 1932 thousands of poor, out-of-work veterans demonstrated in Washington, DC to try to compel Congress to make an early cash payment of a promised war bonus that wasn't due until 1945. In what war had these former soldiers, known as the Bonus Army, fought?
6. On the night of November 9, 1938 a large-scale attack was carried out by the SS and SA on Jews and Jewish businesses throughout Germany and has come to be known as 'The Night of Broken Glass' or by this German name. Which?
7. In 1937 President Roosevelt proclaimed October 12th as this national holiday honoring the arrival of a European explorer in the Americas.
8. At the 1936 Olympics in Berlin, American Jesse Owens won a record four gold medals in track and field. These events were the 100 meter and 200 meter sprints, the 4 x 100 meter relay and which other contest? (Hint: Carl Lewis won the same four events the 1984 Olympics).
9. In 1935 Scottish physicist Sir Robert Alexander Watson-Watt developed this technology that proved to be instrumental in the Allied victory of WWII and without which Britain might have lost the Battle of Britain.
10. Between 1930 and 1939 this system of concrete fortifications, tank obstacles, machine gun posts and other defenses was constructed by France along its border with Germany.
Source: Author brewster76
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor bloomsby
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.