Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. The Dred Scott decision gave Congress the right to regulate slavery in the territories.
2. No African-American ever earned the Medal of Honor for heroism in the Civil War.
3. In New York State, before the Civil War, a free black man could vote if he owned $250 worth of property.
4. Slaves in early America could be bought and sold at the discretion of their masters.
5. In 1860, a year before the start of the Civil War, there were about 4 million slaves in the South.
6. There were no African-American newspapers before the Civil War.
7. Was the Freedman's Savings Bank established before or after the beginning of the Civil War?
8. After the U.S. Constitution was adopted in 1787, the first Congress barred African-Americans from becoming naturalized citizens.
9. In the antebellum South, free blacks did not enjoy the right of trial by jury.
10. In what year was slavery abolished in the British Empire?
Source: Author valerie0186
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor bloomsby
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.