Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Before the 1920s, the highest levels of the IJA officer corps were dominated by men from which of the former feudal domains?
2. What is the name of the religious institution in Tokyo where Japan's war dead since 1868 are enshrined as Shinto deities?
3. If the makers of "The Last Samurai" had been more concerned with historical accuracy, the character played by Tom Cruise would have been of what nationality?
4. In what year did Japan introduce a system of military conscription on the French model?
5. Field Marshal Yamagata Aritomo, considered the father of the modern Japanese army, practiced spear fighting until almost the end of his life.
6. Which of the following statements about General Nogi Maresuke is NOT true?
7. Which action was taken by General Ugaki Kazushige (or Kazunari) during his tenure as Army Minister during the mid-1920s?
8. "If we have a thousand bamboo spears, there's nothing to worry about a war with the Soviet Union." Which Japanese general was the author of this "bamboo spear principle"?
9. What percentage of the Japanese Military Academy's graduating class in 1931 were of shizoku background (that is, their families had once been samurai)?
10. After the failure of the February 1936 coup attempt in Tokyo, Emperor Hirohito granted the "young officers" who had led the revolt the privilege of committing ritual suicide (seppuku) in recognition of the purity and sincerity of their motives.
11. What was the location of the major border clash between Japan and the Soviet Union that took place during the summer of 1939?
12. Lt. Gen. Mutaguchi Ren'ya is best known for leading the disastrous Japanese offensive into Assam in 1944. Which of these other controversial episodes had he been involved in earlier in his career?
13. Lt. Gen. Kuribayashi Tadamichi is best known for what?
14. The General Headquarters of the IJA was located in which area of Tokyo?
15. On December 1, 1945, Japan's Army Ministry was renamed. What was its new name?
Source: Author Guiguzi
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor bloomsby
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.