Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. After his wife's death, who else besides Edward Yardley was permitted by Sir Francis Lanyon to cross the threshold of the Lanyon home?
2. What is the name of Lord Damerel's estate in Yorkshire?
3. Mrs. Gurnard is the Lanyons's housekeeper. On which of the Lanyon children did she dote when he/she was young?
4. Venetia spent all her time in Yorkshire and has never set foot any farther than Harrogate. Why was she never introduced into society?
5. Damerel wasn't always an accomplished rake. Which watershed event of his life launched him into his wandering years of waste and debauchery?
6. Damerel is bewildered that a lady as beautiful and intelligent as Venetia has not yet married or is not being courted. Venetia informs him that, on the contrary, she has two suitors at home and she struggled to find the right word to characterize one of them. Shortly thereafter, Damerel meets Edward Yardley and the next time he sees Venetia, he agreed that the adjective she used to describe Edward was very apt. What epithet did she use to describe Edward Yardley?
7. At Undershaw, trouble arrives to throw Aubrey and Venetia's lives into turmoil in the form of Mrs. Scorrier. Why has Conway packed Mrs. Scorrier and her daughter Charlotte and literally shipped them back to England?
8. Mrs. Maria Hendred planned to give a ball in Venetia's honor, which had to be reduced to a dinner with no more than half-a-dozen persons as result of a major event. What happened to occasion that change?
9. It is no secret that Aubrey has little regard for Edward Yardley and holds him in contempt. Which one is NOT a reason for his aversion to Edward?
10. Mrs. Hendred is as flighty as she is kind. She also doesn't shy away from the delights of the table. What diet does she claim Lord Byron has been using due to his tendency to "put on flesh"?
11. Besides Lord Byron and Shakespeare, the Bible is greatly quoted in Venetia. Which character makes most freely with biblical quotes?
12. There are several references to Lord Byron in this novel. Which character would like to be mistaken for Byron's "Corsair"?
13. Infidelity was quite pervasive in Regency men and it was not frowned upon as it would be in women. Other than Damerel, which other character in Venetia was unfaithful?
14. Lady Steeple would never be a candidate for "mother of the year". She abandoned her children when she left Undershaw. She herself said she never wished for children. She liked Venetia and Conway because they were pretty. But what term did she use to describe Aubrey?
15. How many times did Damerel almost propose to Venetia before he was succesful in completing the proposal?
Source: Author bazolian
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor LadyCaitriona
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.