Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Which Zappa album features several Mothers of Invention classical/jazz/rock instrumentals book-ended by two 1950s doo-wop cover tunes at the beginning and end of the album?
2. Jimmy Carl Black was one of the better-known and entertaining members of the original Mothers of Invention. After the original band broke up, Jimmy came back and sang lead vocals on two Zappa albums. The first album was on "200 Motels". What was the second album?
3. 1979's "Joe's Garage" and 1984's "Thing-Fish" were Frank Zappa's two "rock operas". The wife of which Zappa band member had significant speaking parts on both albums?
4. What was the name of the artist who painted/designed many of Frank Zappa's album covers, including "Hot Rats", "Just Another Band From L.A.", and "One Size Fits All"?
5. One of Zappa's more important albums has been out of print since the 2002 because the Zappa Family Trust doesn't own the rights to it (United Artists does). What album is it?
6. Most of the live albums Frank released during his lifetime had a nice blend of classic Zappa tunes and some new tracks. Which live album featured nearly all original songs, most of which were satirical songs that took a stab at the politics of the time?
7. Which of the following Zappa albums was NOT a double LP when it was originally released on vinyl?
8. Who was the talented L.A. rock violinist who played electric violin on several Zappa albums including "Burnt Weeny Sandwich" and "Weasels Ripped My Flesh"?
9. 1968's "Cruising With Ruben & The Jets" was Frank's loving tribute to the doo-wop bands of 50s and early 60s. Several tracks were reworked versions of songs from the "Freak Out!" album. Which of the following was NOT one of those reworked songs?
10. Zappa released six volumes of the "You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore" series in the late 80s/early 90s, featuring live recordings from many Zappa tours dating back to the 60s. Five of the sets featured tracks from multiple eras and locations. Which volume is the only one to have all its tracks taken from one set of shows from a single northern European city in 1974?
Source: Author Pessoni
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor agony
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.