Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Singing 'Lucy in disguise with diamonds' in public was mortifying as the words were not quite right! What was this line from The Beatles meant to be?
2. Quite understandably I got the following lyrics wrong. Rather than laughing, my friends sympathized as Australian Crawl songs are SO hard to understand! I sang "Let me tell you about my mountain home" (correct), then "With all the ladies on the phone". That was wrong, but what was that second line supposed to be?
3. Led Zeppelin's "Stairway to Heaven" is a classic, but much to my chagrin I sang "there's a meaning I bet" (incorrect), followed by "when I look to the west". What was that first phrase meant to be?
4. 'Great, "Purple Haze" by Jimi Hendrix' I thought. 'I know that.' I started singing and stopped when I saw the strange expressions on my friends' faces after belting out "excuse me while I kiss this guy". What should I have sung?
5. At primary (elementary) school in Australia, we used to sing "God save our biscuit tin, don't let the ants get in", which in hindsight was quite disrespectful! At that time, 'God Save the Queen' was the Australian National Anthem and the correct first line was "God save our gracious Queen". What was the correct second line?
6. At a 70's retro party, a Slade album was placed on the turntable. "C'mon feel the noise" deafened us from the large speakers. Unfortunately I messed up the second line by screaming out "girls grab your toys". What line did Noddy Holder actually sing?
7. Perhaps the most famous 'mondegreen' (mistaken song words) comes from Manfred Mann's 1976 version of 'Blinded by the Light'. I sang "revved up like a deuce, another runner in the night". Was I correct?
8. I walked late into a party and the music was in full swing. I heard the distinctive sounds of John Fogerty and Creedence Clearwater Revival. Listening to words about hurricanes and nasty weather and, perhaps foreshadowing a future need, I sang out "there's a bathroom on the right". Obviously wrong but what should this line be?
9. The night has been long and I'm feeling 'Comfortably Numb' as the unmistakable sounds of Pink Floyd reach my ears. Without thinking, I start singing "There is no brain you are receiving". Hysterical laughter greets this obviously incorrect effort. What should I have sung?
10. I've almost decided to stop singing in public at all after my best friend finally points out that I'd been getting the same line from Queen's 'Bohemian Rhapsody' wrong for years. I'd always thought the words were "Beelzebub is a rebel for signing me". What did my considerate friend tell me the words should be?
Source: Author MikeMaster99
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor ertrum
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.