Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. In 1934 Percy Shaw patented a device that improved road safety and has undoubtedly saved many lives. It was officially adopted by the Ministry of Transport in 1947. What did Shaw invent?
2. The electric motor has many applications and could be said to have freed modern woman from domestic drudgery. Who is credited with its invention?
3. Most people believe that the electric light bulb was invented by Edison. It was, however, initially invented by a British scientist better known for his work in mining safety. Who was the man that first demonstrated the light bulb?
4. Submarines are a vital part of any modern navy. The first plans for an underwater vessel were drawn up by William Bourne. In which year did he commit his idea to paper?
5. H. S. Heeley is credited with designing a household object in 1888 which made a particular action much easier to perform. His invention is used by millions of people on a daily basis. What type of item did he invent?
6. WWW is a set of initials familiar to anyone with an internet connection. The World Wide Web, HTML, HTTP and URLs were all developed in the late '80s/early '90s. Can you recall the name of the man who is generally credited as being the "father of the world wide web"?
7. The modern jet engine is a development of a prototype first patented in 1930. What was the name of the man widely regarded as the father of jet propulsion?
8. In 1843 Scotsman Alexander Bain was granted a patent for a communications device much used in commercial circles. What did he invent?
9. Portable television sets have been around for a number of years, but which British company developed the first television small enough to fit in a person's pocket?
10. Which of the listed inventions (yes, they are all genuine) was NOT the invention of a Brit?
Source: Author romeomikegolf
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor bloomsby
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.