Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. The 26th President of the United States, known for completing a speech after being shot, said: "Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or leave the country." Which president said this?
2. "Collective fear stimulates herd instinct, and tends to produce ferocity toward those who are not regarded as members of the herd." Which British philosopher and mathematician said these words?
3. In his book "Revelation", this British writer said ""We of alien looks or words must stick together.". Which author, who also published books like "Dissolution" and "Heartstone", is this?
4. Mokokoma Mokhonoana is an essayist and philosopher who once said "Using money in one's attempt to put an end to poverty is like using a border in one's attempt to put an end to xenophobia." From which country, home of Nelson Mandela, does Mokhonoana come from?
5. Which Briton, son of a Spanish journalist who bears the same name, and is an historian, said "All definitions of civilization belong to a conjugation which goes: "I am civilized, you belong to a culture, he is a barbarian."?
6. "All classes in proportion to their lack of travel and familiarity with foreign literature are bellicose, prejudiced against foreigners, fond of fighting as a cruel sport -- in short, dog-like in their notions of foreign policy."
Which author of "Pygmalion" and "Major Barbara" said this?
7. The book "Danube: A Sentimental Journey from the Source to the Black Sea", contains the quote: "History shows that it is not only senseless and cruel, but also difficult to state who is a foreigner."
Which Italian author wrote that book?
8. Anna Quindlen said "Our love of lockstep is our greatest curse, the source of all that bedevils us. It is the source of homophobia, xenophobia, racism, sexism, terrorism, bigotry of every variety and hue, because it tells us there is one right way to do things, to look, to behave, to feel, when the only right way is to feel your heart hammering inside you and to listen to what its timpani is saying."
Which prestigious prize, named after a man called Joseph and awarded since 1917, did she receive in 1992?
9. Famous French writer Michel de Montaigne said "I do not believe, from what I have been told about this people, that there is anything barbarous or savage about them, except that we all call barbarous anything that is contrary to our own habits", when referring to cannibals in one of his essays.
Which term best describes the ideas of de Montaigne?
10. "Racism, xenophobia and unfair discrimination have spawned slavery, when human beings have bought and sold and owned and branded fellow human beings as if they were so many beasts of burden."
Which prominent South African activist said these wise words?
Source: Author Lpez
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor bloomsby
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.