Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. The best example of a tornado in literature is in this L. Frank Baum childrens' classic:
2. Although tornadoes occur worldwide, the greatest concentration is in the United States. About how many tornadoes are formed here in an average year?
3. Which of these is documented as the greater single outbreak of tornadoes during the 20th century?
4. "Early radar detection of potential tornadic storm systems have greatly reduced the number of deaths from tornadoes. The last single storm to take 80 or more lives in the 20th Century occurred in 1955 in this town:
5. This Texas community was leveled twice, by an F-5 and later an F-4 tornado, on April 3, 1964 and 'Terrible Tuesday', April 10, 1979:
6. What year was the first tornado accurately predicted before it struck?
7. True or False: Areas near rivers, lakes and mountains are safe from tornadoes.
8. What is the name given to a tornado over open water?
9. What is NOT a clue to a developing tornado?
10. Although 70 percent of all deaths come from F5 tornadoes, what percentage of total tornado formations do F5s comprise?
11. What year was the Tornado Intercept Project, using Doppler radar and storm chase personnel, formed?
12. In what year was the earliest photo taken of a tornado?
13. What is the name given to a supercell system that spawns multiple vortices simultaneously?
14. This professor at the University of Chicago is perhaps the best known expert on tornado formation. The scale by which to measure tornado damage was named after him. Who is he?
15. What is the name given to a rotating airmass that has NOT made contact with the ground?
16. TRUE OR FALSE: The primary cause of damage in most structures occurs as a tornado passes over, using its low pressure the make the structure literally explode:
17. At about what time of day is the formation of tornadoes most favorable?
18. One of these areas received one or more tornadoes between 1950 to 1995. The rest saw NO tornadic activity. Spot the odd one out:
19. As deadly as they are, which of these storm phenomena causes more total fatalities than tornadoes?
20. Which is NOT a main stage in the life of a tornado?
Source: Author Oddball
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor gtho4
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.