Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. In 'The Sign of Four', the story opens with a detailed description of Sherlock Holmes injecting himself with a seven percent solution of which toxic substance?
2. Which country is home to the nine of the most venomous arachnids and ten of the most venomous snakes in the world?
3. Australia is home to many poisonous sea creatures, including the world's only poisonous starfish. What is the name of this starfish?
4. 'Blackjack disease' is a skin condition sometimes found in card players who are in prolonged contact with the green felt on card tables. Which toxic substance in the material causes this?
5. Which famous author wrote her first novel while working in a hospital pharmacy as a dispenser?
6. What type of poisoning are you suffering from if you experience the 'dry ice phenomenon' (where hot seems cold, and vice versa)?
7. Which king of England was allegedly murdered or subjected to euthanasia (depending on your point of view) by his personal physician via a lethal injection of cocaine and morphine?
8. In September 1994, professional tennis player Vitas Gerulaitis died of poisoning by which toxic gas?
9. This famous English politician was well-known for his wit. There is a popular story that Nancy Astor, an MP, declared in the House of Commons 'If I were married to you, I'd put poison in your coffee', to which he replied 'Nancy, if you were my wife, I'd drink it'. Which politician was responsible for this quip?
10. Which popular drink, originally invented as a medicine in 1885, contained minute amounts of cocaine until 1929?
Source: Author MotherGoose
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor thejazzkickazz
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.