Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. This event has been in existence since 1877 and has been played annually, (apart for interuptions due to WWII) at the same venue since 1922. The competition takes place over two weeks during late June, (sometimes spreading into early July). In 2007, the event was disrupted by bad weather, but it didn't stop the spectators enjoying their strawberries and cream. Which event was this?
2. This event has been an almost annual event since 1829. It is a race which starts at Putney. Which of these events is it?
3. This annual event was first competed for in 1872. In 2007, it returned to its traditional home after a gap of some six years. Before the event started, the crowd sang the first verse of the hymn, "Abide with Me". Which sporting event was this?
4. This is an annual event in Britain, since 1949 it has attracted competitors from around the world. The Badminton ___ Trials, can you fill in the missing word?
5. This international contest is scheduled to last about thirty hours spread out over five days. It might sometimes be difficult to know which way the contest is going, but if you want to know which way the wind is blowing, then look to Old Father Time. Which Stadium am I talking about?
6. In 2007, this long distance race began in London in July. The winner finished the race some three weeks later and was given a yellow jersey. Which of these events am I describing?
7. In August 2007, I took my non-sporting friend to 'Billy Williams' Cabbage Patch' to watch several teams compete for a trophy. He thought all the teams were playing with fewer men than they should have had but no, the teams were all at full strength. What were we watching?
8. This annual event first took place in the early 18th century. It was staged at different venues in its early years, but for most years from 1839-2007, the venue has remained the same. Becher's Brook often influences the outcome. Which event am I talking about?
9. A famous annual event takes place each July. The venue varies from year to year but competitors love to record an eagle. In 2007, it was held at Carnoustie. Which event is this?
10. This event was first held in Britain in 1926, various venues have been used over the years but from 1987-2007 it has been staged at the same location.
Sometimes competitors have trouble with Maggots. Which sporting occasion is this?
Source: Author Mutchisman
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Nightmare
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.