Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. The nadir of British sport probably came in the form of the Atlanta Olympics in 1996. In how many events did British competitors win the gold?
2. In Wimbledon, the British have what is possibly the world's greatest tennis tournament. But, before Andy Murray broke the drought in 2013, when did a British man last win the singles?
3. How many times did British men win the Tour de France in the twentieth century?
4. Since 1979, the Ryder Cup has been a bi-yearly contest between the US and Europe, but before that it was US v Great Britain. Before 1979, how many consecutive Ryder Cups had Britain gone without winning?
5. Against which of the following countries did England concede one of the fastest ever goals in international soccer in the early 1990s?
6. After the 2002 World Cup in South Korea/Japan: which of these countries did *not* appear above Wales in the FIFA soccer world rankings?
7. Briton Lennox Lewis has been the undisputed heavyweight champion of the world, which would be a matter for enormous pride, except that all his training was done overseas. Where?
8. What is the name of the series of cricket matches that Britain seem to lose to Australia every two years in the 1990s?
9. To whom did England lose 49-6 in the semi-finals of the 2000 Rugby League World Cup (at the time, the worst defeat in their history)?
10. Fortunately, its not all doom and gloom. England has the world's finest football, or "soccer" if you prefer, team. Alright, they've never won the European Cup, and tend not to win anything at all for at least 5 years at a time, but they won the League and FA cup double three times (in 1971, 1998 and 2002). Who are they?
Source: Author Islingtonian
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor ozzz2002
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.