Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Jean Monnet was one of the founding fathers of the European Community. Which member state was he from?
2. Which country was the subject of the 1990 "enlargement" of the EU?
3. Which country refused to join the European Economic Community when it was founded in 1957 but then changed its mind and had to apply three times before finally being admitted?
4. Which country was the only new member to join the EC in the 1981 enlargement?
5. In terms of both population and land area, which was the largest of the 2004 enlargement members at the time of the enlargement?
6. Aside from Denmark, which is the only EU member state to have voted against adoption of the Euro in a referendum?
7. In 1973 the EC expanded to take in three new members, the United Kingdom, Denmark and _______?
8. Which of the 2004 enlargement states has its capital at Riga?
9. Which 2004 enlargement member of the EU had a long-running border dispute involving a EU candidate country which did not join the EU in 2004?
10. Which country plays host to most of the major EU institutions including the European Commission, the Council of Ministers and the Committee of the Regions?
11. In terms of Gross Domestic Product per capita, which was the richest of the 2004 enlargement member states?
12. The 1986 enlargement brought two new members into the EC, Portugal and _______?
13. Which is the most northerly of the 2004 enlargement states?
14. In which country was the Treaty establishing the European Economic Community signed in 1957?
15. In which country is the European Court of Justice (ECJ) sited?
16. Following the 2004 enlargement, which member state had the smallest population?
17. Which country voted "No" to the Maastricht Treaty in a referendum in 1992 but then voted "Yes" in 1993 after being granted some derogations from the Treaty?
18. Which of these 2004 enlargement countries was once part of the Soviet Union?
19. Which of these member states was a founder member of EFTA (European Free Trade Association) before joining the EC?
20. Which country hosted the Intergovernmental Conferences (IGCs) which led to the creation of the EU from the EC and paved the way for the 2004 enlargement?
21. In 2007, Bulgaria and Romania joined the European Union, making a total number of 27 member states. Greece shares a border with Bulgaria, but which is the only member state to share a border with Romania?
22. Which 2004 enlargement member state was until 1993 part of a larger state (its former partner in that state also joined the EU in 2004)?
23. Prior to the 2004 enlargement, which was the only country to share a land border with Russia?
24. All of the 2004 enlargement member states except Cyprus carried out referenda on their membership in the EU. In percentage terms, which country registered the largest 'Yes' vote?
25. Which of these EU members once ruled an empire encompassing four of the 2004 enlargement members?
Source: Author alan03
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Beatka
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.