Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. The United States established their first 'Tomb of the Unknown Soldier' in this location in 1921 with the unidentified remains of a soldier killed in France in the Great War. It was redone as seen in the photo in 1931 and now includes tombs for World War II, the Korean War and the Vietnam War. In which National Cemetery, located in Virginia, can this be found?
2. 'La Tomba del Milite Ignoto' was established in 1921 at the Altare della Patria (Alter of the Fatherland) centered below the statue of Victor Emmanuel II. Immediately above the tomb is another statue, representing which goddess that personifies the city of Rome?
3. 'O Monumento Nacional aos Mortos da Segunda Guerra Mundial' was established in 1960 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil with the repatriation of the remains of 463 servicemen of the Brazilian Expeditionary Force, who are entombed in a mausoleum beneath the statue seen here. From which country were they repatriated?
4. 'Grób Nieznanego Żołnierza' is housed in the only remaining part of the destroyed Saxon Palace in Warsaw, Poland. The unknown soldier occupying the tomb was chosen from amongst those who fell in the 'Defense of Lwów' in 1918/19. What is the name of the modern-day city and country where the battle took place?
5. 'La Tombe du Soldat Inconnu' in Paris can be found beneath another structure that was originally constructed to honour those who fought and died for France in the French Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars. Which structure?
6. 'Могила невідомого солдата' (pronounced: 'Mohyla Nevidomoho Soldata') is a memorial within the Park of Eternal Glory. The tomb is at the foot of the monument with an accompanying eternal flame. Originally dedicated in 1957 to the memory of Red Army soldiers killed in World War II, it was rededicated in 1967 to the memory of fallen Ukrainian soldiers who gave their lives in the liberation of Ukraine. In which city, the Ukrainian capital, can it be found?
7. 'Μνημείο του Αγνώστου Στρατιώτη' (romanized: 'Mnimío tou Agnóstou Stratióti') is a cenotaph and sculpture memorializing the unknown soldiers who have died for Greece. Located in front of the Old Royal Palace in Athens, the empty tomb was originally dedicated for soldiers of the Peloponnesian War.
8. 'Ang Libingan ng Hindi Kilalang Kawal' is the tomb shown in this picture found in the center of Libingan ng mga Bayani (The Heroes' Cemetery) in Manila, Philippines. The epitaph reads "Here lies a Filipino soldier whose name is known only to God". The cemetery and memorial were established in 1947 for Filipinos who were killed in which conflict?
9. 'Могила Неизвестного Солдата' (pronounced: 'Mogila Neizvestnogo Soldata') was unveiled in 1967 after the soldiers buried in a mass grave following the Battle of Moscow (1941) were moved to become part of this memorial. The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier can be found in the Alexander Garden against the western wall of which Moscow landmark?
10. In my home country of Canada, the 'Canadian Tomb of the Unknown Soldier' was established in the year 2000, placed at the existing National War Memorial in Confederation Square in Ottawa. The unknown soldier was repatriated from France, where he had been interred near the site of Canada's 1917 'coming-of-age' battle during World War I. Which battle was it?
Source: Author reedy
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor stedman
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.