Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Which of the following schools received their nickname when a dog jumped out of the stands during a baseball game and prevented an opposing player from scoring a run?
2. Which University's teams were once named for a group of Massachusetts fishermen, and then years after they changed their nickname, their head basketball coach refused to accept it and never used it?
3. Which of the following schools has a mascot that is a kangaroo, although their nickname does not imply that at all?
4. What University other than Georgetown derived its nickname from a cheer?
5. Which college's mascot and, subsequently, their nickname came to them from the beakhead of explorer LaSalle's ill-fated caravel?
6. Which time-honored sport's tradition was attributed to Brother Jasper, the man whose name is synonymous with Manhattan College?
7. What institution's teams can trace their nickname back to 1858 when their rowing coach purchased six Chinese red bandanas to distinguish his rowers from the competitors?
8. Which University's teams were formerly known as the Pumpkin Shuckers, Cornfield Sailors, Foundry Hands and Railsplitters before becoming what they are now?
9. Which University's team was originally known as simply the "Big Red Team" and later boasted a bear as its mascot?
10. Which University with the nickname "Tigers" attributed their nickname to an Oliver Goldsmith poem entitled, "The Deserted Village", which was written in 1770?
Source: Author WilkeCollins
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Nightmare
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.