Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Ecstatic that school has finished for the holidays, Rhys and Eleri head off to Wales' capital city, Cardiff, to do a spot of Christmas shopping. On arrival, they hear the words to "Tawel Nos", which soon puts a smile on both of their faces, as it is one of their favourite carols. What popular Christmas carol is it that Rhys and Eleri are hearing here?
2. Having braved the crowds of Cardiff, a tired Rhys and Eleri return home and collapse onto the sofa, before turning their attention to the smells wafting in from the kitchen, where their mam has been baking. "Mmmm!" says Rhys appreciatively, before asking, "Gai mins pei, mam?" What delicious, seasonal treat of his mam's is Rhys hankering after here?
3. Relatives from Aberystwyth have come to visit, and Rhys and Eleri are tasked with looking after their younger cousin, six-year old Osian, who is refusing to go to bed. Racking her brains for something that will convince her merry, little cousin that sleep is the best option, Eleri finally lands on a plan. No sooner has she uttered the words, "Bydd dim Siôn Corn yn dod os nad wyt ti'n fachgen da", then the mischievous, little monkey is tucked up in bed. Undoubtedly, it is the mention of "Siôn Corn" that does the trick - but who is he?
4. One of Eleri and Rhys' favourite things to do over the Christmas period is to walk down their local High Street, while tucking into a hot bag of chips. Taking their time, they peer into each shop window, before picking their favourite festive display. Sure enough as they turn into their own street, Eleri declares that her favourite is the shop that has the "golygfa'r geni" on display. Which of the following best describes Eleri's favourite Christmas window?
5. It's time for the big, Christmas food shop, and Eleri and Rhys, who are accompanied by their parents, are eager to fill their trolley with sugary goodness. They head straight for the chocolate aisle, but are soon stopped by their mam, who reminds them that their first port of call is the meat counter, as she needs to pick up the "twrci" that's been ordered. What Christmas dinner staple is it that their mam is talking about here?
6. Rhys and Eleri's living room now resembles Santa's grotto, as they are both hard at work wrapping presents. But, as Eleri ploughs on, Rhys decides to take a break, and so wanders over to the window. All of a sudden, he inhales sharply, before calling out excitedly to his sister, "Eleri, mae'n bwrw eira!" What has Rhys seen, which has made him so excited?
7. With a thick layer of snow now covering the ground outside, Rhys and Eleri, along with the rest of the children in the street, are eager to be out in it. However they must first pass their mam's rigorous inspection, which Rhys unfortunately fails. Therefore as Eleri makes a mad dash for the front door, Rhys is sent to find his missing "menig", which he needs to be wearing before being allowed to join his sister outside. What item of clothing is it that Rhys needs to locate?
8. Oh dear! Poor Rhys and Eleri have caught a cold, and are in bed recovering. They are feeling very sorry for themselves, because they are too ill to attend a friend's Christmas party. Trying to cheer them up, their dad surprises them with a hot beverage, which he calls "siocled poeth". What comforting drink has he brought his sickly children?
9. It is Christmas Eve, and Rhys and Eleri are getting ready for bed, and are as excited as can be. As they pull back the covers, their mam reminds them to hang their "hosanau Nadolig" on the end of their beds. Which Christmas tradition is their mam reminding them of here?
10. Finally, it's Christmas Day, and as expected, Eleri and Rhys are up early, before dawn. Together, they burst into their parents' bedroom, dragging their stockings behind them, and yelling "Nadolig Llawen", over and over again. What on earth is it that they are saying to their mam and dad?
Source: Author poshprice
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor stedman
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.